Chapter 19: Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever

I found myself at the hospital again. I did that a lot recently. I didn’t remember the last time I went outside of the hospital, or even outside of this room. Of course, I had gone to the bathroom a few times, but I tried to cut it down a bit, ‘cause I didn’t really want to leave the room for more than five seconds.

Most of the time, I was here alone. Except from the nurses and such; they stuck their heads into the room every now and then. There was this one nurse, the one I had noticed the first day in the hospital, who used to come into the room every evening with food for me. I hadn’t been that hungry, but I ate almost half of it every time, just to not make her angry that I didn’t eat her food.

My other friends didn’t visit as much as I did. They came every day, but they only stayed for about one hour. I didn’t really care. It didn’t matter that much to me. All that mattered was that I was here, and I wasn’t going anywhere before he woke up.

The door cracked open and revealed the nurse that used to bring me food. She had introduced herself as Lydia, but sometimes I got the name wrong and said Ly instead. It had become a habit.  

“Hey Tyler” she said with a smile as she entered the room and closed the door behind her.

“Hi Ly”

“I brought you a leaning chair. I bet it’s a bit comfier than that chair you’re sitting in,” she smiled once more, before disappearing outside again, only to come back inside with a comfortable looking leaning chair. She dragged it across the room to me and I got up from the plastic chair by the bed. Once I was sat in it, I grabbed Troye’s hand again. Ly sat in the plastic chair and stared at the floor for a while. Then she lifted her face up and looked at me with an interested look on her face.

“What’s he like?” she asked. I was confused for a little while. Then I looked at Troye with a surprised look and turned to her again.

Troye? Well, he’s great,” I stated, a shy smile tugging at my lips. She nodded her head and I understood that she wanted me to continue. “He’s … like, you know, everything and even more than you could wish for, really. He’s funny and cheeky, and I love his eyes. I mean, you haven’t seen them,” I said and pressed my lips together. Lily brought a hand up to my shoulder and squeezed it lightly. I took a deep breath. “But I can promise you, they’re the nicest, bluest pair of eyes you’ll ever see”.

“You’re very fond of him; I see it in your eyes when you talk about him,” she stated. I didn’t do or say anything as I waited for her to continue. “How long have you been with him?”

“I only just met him less than two weeks ago” I bit my lower lip.

“Oh,” she said with her eyebrows furrowed. She didn’t expect that answer. I looked at her with curious eyes. “I… um, I thought you had known him longer than that. I mean, it’s nothing wrong with that… It’s just,” she stopped her rambling and looked up to meet my eyes. She took a deep breath and fumbled with her hands. “You seem so fond of him and I thought you had been together for a long while,” she finished.

I was kind of startled. I wasn’t expecting a nurse to talk me something like this. Ly and I had become quite close while I had spent entire days at the hospital, but I didn’t expect her to talk to me about things like this. Quite personal things.  I let out a small sigh and smiled slightly.