Chapter 9: The Alphas

The class almost suspended because of what happened and Zephyr almost request to Headmaster Cadmus to suspend the class but I told him that I want to experience my first day here. Hindi na nga normal ang first day ko tulad ng inaasahan ko, pagkatapos ay balak niya pang ipa-suspende?

When we left them and Gen and I went to our next class, Zep and Fina went back to my room after nila kaming sinamahan and I hope, Zephyr will behave this time, so, that they can talk with the faculty members. Hindi naman lingin sa kaalaman ko ang nangyayari sa mundo na ‘to ngayon and they need the siblings right now.

I think this is also the reason why Aslan sent them here—not just to protect me and accompany me but also to help the authorities to fight the rebellions. They are our main problem here and I just remembered that those rebellions are the ones who killed my father… and the reason why my mother suffered in silence.

We waited for our classmates to arrive and while waiting for them, Gen and I kill some time. Before Gen left the mortal world, I introduced her to my guardians that’s why they are quite close with each other. Gen is a social butterfly when she’s still living in the mortal world but when I learned that she never has any friends here makes me wonder why.

Pero ang sabi niya, she tried being friends with the students here aside from Betas. She never tried being friends with the Betas since she hates bullies and on her first day, she witnessed how Betas bullied a poor student. That’s why she never tried being friends with them. When she’s trying to have friends with other students here, they didn’t accept her because she is one of the Betas that’s why she gave up and chose to be alone.

Nang tignan ko ang oras ay 10:55 AM na at late ngayon ang klase dahil sa ginawa ni Zephyr na eksena kanina. Sakto namang dumating na ang mga hinintay namin but they are quite—behaved and I can’t help but sigh. I saw earlier how scared they are and I guess, they won’t dare touching me again. It is better for them to treat me like I am not existing.

Hindi rin nagtagal ay pumasok na ang aming guro—isang magandang babae—kasing ganda ni Ms. Davis. Her hair is above her shoulder and she looks sexy in her formal dress. But what catch my attention was her eyes… her red eyes.

Bigla naman akong nanginig ng may nakita akong mga imahe sa isipan ko ng makita ko ang kulay ng kaniyang mga mata. Ilang beses pa akong napalunok at huminga ng malalim habang pilit na pinakakalma ang sarili. Naramdaman ko naman bigla ang paghawak ni Gen sa kamay ko na bahagya kong ikinapitlag at mabilis pang lumingon sa kaniya.

“Lars, it’s okay…” she’s also trying to calm me even she looks worried about me.

I closed my eyes firmly and help myself to calm down before looking at her again and smile. When we heard our teacher’s voice, sabay kaming napatingin sa harapan. “Good morning, class!” Pagbati nito ng mayroong ngiti sa labi.

“Good morning, Ms. Kim!” Bati naman nila pabalik habang ako naman ay hindi makapagsalita.

Relax… she’s not one of them.

Ngunit nabigla naman ako ng mapatingin siya sa akin at ngumiti. “For you, Ms. Ford, I’m Glaiza Kim, your Power Control teacher,” pakilala ni Ms. Kim sa akin. I tried to smile at her while still calming myself. “Okay, class,” now, her face turned serious while facing us. “I know that all of you here already know how to control your powers,” panimula niya at inilibot ang paningin sa buong klase. “So, what I will teach today is how to make different weapons using your power. Maybe some of you can not do that yet but don’t worry, I will guide you. But for those who can form their elements into different weapons already, you still have to practice more. You may start.”

Good thing I have a background with this thing.

***

Lunch na kaya ito kami ni Gen at naglalakad papuntang cafeteria. Tahimik lang kaming naglalakad ni Gen dahil mukhang na-drain ang energy niya kanina sa subject namin. Na-drain din ang energy ko kaya nakapulupot ang mga braso ko sa braso niya. Bahagya pa akong naka-simangot dahil ang layo ng cafeteria.

When we reached the cafeteria, every eye turned into our direction—my direction. But since we’re too pagod because of Power Control kahit kalahating oras lang ang mayroon kami, we don’t have some energy to mind those stares. We just want to eat and rest because later, our two subjects after lunch will drain us even more.

We waited until we’re turn. Madami ang pagkain na pwede mong pagpilian and they all look yummy. But as long as I wanted to try the meals that only can find here, tsaka na lang. May nakita naman akong malaking lobster kaya biglang naglaway ang aking bagang and let Gen order for me.

“Ate, pa-order nga po ng lobster na ‘yan, pati po ‘yang macaroni salad at isang tubig. Pa-order na rin po ng adobo, sisig, at sinigang at apat po na order ng kanin. Pa-order na rin po ng two slice chocolate cake at last po ay orage juice. Thank you!” Mahabang wika ni Gen kay Ate na natulala dahil sa dami ng order niya kaya napangisi na lang ako ng palihim.

Tumalima naman si Ate at binigay na sa amin ang aming order kaya dali-dali kaming naghanap ng mauupuan malapit sa malaking glass window. Pagkaupo namin ay siya namang pagtahimik ng paligid kaya hindi ko mapigilang magtaka. Tila walang imortal ang nandito dahil sa katahimikan nila. Tila wala na ring gumagalaw at humihinga.

I looked around then I saw them looking in one direction—in the cafeteria’s entrance and I saw the group that wearing a different uniform—the Alphas. Because of their uniform, it made them look intimidating and powerful.

So, this is the reason why they freeze?

“Masanay ka ng ganiyan ang reaksyon nila sa tuwing dumadating ang Alphas,” bulong sa akin ni Gen bago ko iniiwas ang tingin sa grupo na nasa counter na ngayon. “Students here can not handle their auras—idagdag pang nakaka-intimida sila. That’s also the reason why Alphas are rare to eat here in cafeteria,” pagpapatuloy niyang chika. “They even looked different because of their uniform—so different of us,” she lean closer to me and whispered. “Kaya naiinggit ang mga Betas, eh—except sa atin, syempre,” umupo naman siya ng maayos bago kami nag-umpisang kumain.

Mimi told me that there are mortal foods here because there are students, staff, and faculty members who went from the mortal realm and we just adopted it—we almost adopt the things that came from the mortal realm.

Mortal world and mortal realm—iisa lang naman sila.

“Alam mo, ang dami mong utang na chika sa akin!” Nalukot pa ang kaniyang mukha na ikinatawa ko naman bago muling sumubo.

Nilinok ko muna ang nginunguya ko bago siya sinagot. “Oo na. Mamaya na tayo mag-chikahan. Ikaw nga dapat ang mag-chika sa akin patungkol sa lugar na ‘to, eh,” uminom naman muna siya bago napa-isip.

“Hmm… since we’re talking about the Alphas earlier then they will be our topic…” we both glance where the Alphas are before looking away. “Alphas—the most powerful students in this academy. They have more than one element. It’s just normal for us to have more than one element, especially, if you are one of the royalties. But in their case, mas doble pa sa doble ang lakas ng kanilang kapangyarihan. Even their sub-powers or abilities—they also have more than one abilities and their abilities are more advanced than the ordinary immortals. And you know what? Even they are not the summoner of supreme guardians, the deities still gave them a powerful guardians—halatang may favoritism ang mga deities,” natawa naman ako dahil sa sinabi niya, lalo naman ng ngumuso pa siya dahil sa panghuling sinabi niya.

Kanina, nasabi niya sa akin na dikit lang daw talaga ang classrooms ng Alphas at Betas kaya hindi maiiwasang makasalubong o makasabay namin sila—tulad na lamang sa nangyari kanina bago kami pumasok sa klase ni Ms. Davis.

Hindi ko akalaing pag-uusapan namin ang pinaka-malakas na estudyante ng akademya.

“I will only give some their background to you since I don’t know them personally,” I nodded while eating. “See that blue eyed girl with shoulder black hair?” Sabay palihim na tinuro ang tinutukoy niya. Sinundan ko naman ang tinutukoy niya at nakita ang babaeng tahimik na kumakain habang katabi si Clara. “She is Princess Arielle Henriett Williams, the Princess of Waltern kingdom—the water kingdom. A water and earth user, her sub-powers are healing, and water breathing. Her guardians are pegasus and hippocampus,” napatango naman ako dahil sa nalaman.

Can she transform into a mermaid? And hippocampus? That’s amazing!

“And that gray-eyed girl with long black hair? That’s Princess Gwendolyn Elizabeth Clifford, the Princess of Aerwind kingdom—the air kingdom. An air and ice user. Her sub-powers are telekinesis, and she can sense danger. Her guardians are hippogriff and polar bear,” hmm… for me, her powers are the perfect combination. I glance secretly at the lady she’s talking about and saw her talking to a man. “Now, look at that green-eyed boy—that’s Prince Jacob Miller Johnson, an earth and air user. Prince of Laeves kingdom—the Earth kingdom. His sub-powers are talking to animals and nature, and mind-reading. His guardians are tiger and tarasque,” when I look at the man who has green eyes, I saw a man who has tan skin and laughing right now together with his friend—a man who has yellow eyes.

“Next is that yellow-eyed boy—Prince Kaizer Charles Morrison. The Prince of Blight kingdom—the lightning kingdom and also the cousin of the Prince of the fire kingdom. A lightning and a water user. His sub-powers are flight and he can multiply himself. His guardians are giant minotaur and fox,” the combination of his power is deadly and while looking at him while he is laughing, he looks carefree. “And now, the man who have red eyes—Prince Christopher Avis Jones—the headmaster’s nephew. His mother is a princess of Laeves kingdom—the sister of the current king, while his father is a general to their kingdom. An earth and fire user, and his sub-powers are shapeshifting, and speed. His guardians are cheetah and manticore,” kita ang disgusto sa mukha niya habang pinakikilala ang lalaking nang-away sa amin kanina.

“Now look at that green-eyed boy—the twin brother of Princess Arielle—Prince Azriel Henritte Williams,” napatingin naman ako sa tinuro niya at napangiti na lamang ako ng palihim dahil nakikita kong maayos na ang lagay niya—he’s talking to Gwendolyn while they are eating. “A water and earth user like his twin, the Prince of Waltern Kingdom. Princess Arielle and him just have the same element and abilities but different guardians—his guardians are hawk and behemoth,” napansin ko namang parang may naalala siya bigla. “They said, he lost for two or three years, I think? And he was just found recently in mortal realm. Hindi ko masyado alam ang istorya dahil mahina ang source,” source of chika. She doesn’t need to tell me about what happened to him, though. “But since Prince Azriel is still a famous topic here in academy, I learned some background about him,” napatango-tango naman ako.

I noticed that she became excited kaya napakunot ang nuo ko. “Finally! The men with light blue eyes—the Watson brothers. Prince Lucas Aquamarine Watson and his big brother, Prince Logan Tourmaline Watson—the Prince of Luminania Kingdom, the institution blessed by deities next to this academy. Their elements are just the same—ice and one of the most powerful fires, the gold fire—one of the rarest fires since pili lamang ang nagkaroroon nito. If you are one of the deities’ favorite, then you’ll wield one of the powerful kinds of fire. But you see, since their fire is powerful, they often use it because it will cause huge destruction. They only use it when it’s necessary. They maybe have the same elements but they have different abilities and guardians. Prince Logan can manipulate time and mind and his guardians are golden dragon and moose, while Prince Lucas can see past through looking into someone’s eyes and power adaptation and his guardians are golden phoenix and wolf,” when I heard that they can wield god fire, I can’t help but admire how powerful they are.

And like their abilities, huh.

I’ve heard the story of the different powerful and rarest colors of the element of fire that only selected persons can wield. Aside from gold fire, there are blue, white, and purple fire, and the colors red, and orange is the common fire. Those fires are powerful, and unbeatable but rare. That’s why knowing that there is two-person who can wield golf fire amazes me.

When I look at the princes who can wield gold fire, that’s also when Gen talked again. “Their whole family can wield gold fire. Stories said that their ancestor impressed the deities of whatsoever they did which made the supreme gods bless their clan the gold fire at namana-mana na ito,” she shrugged her shoulders before she eats again.

Whatever their ancestors did in the past to make the deities bless them one of the powerful gold fire, I am glad to see an immortal wields one of the rarest fire. But then, I just realized that she said that they came from Luminaria kingdom—the kingdom where my Mimi came from—but what caught my attention was their last name. A Watson. Oh, my deities! What’s happening right now?! Wait… don’t tell me…

I have to ask Mimi!

“Second to the last is that man who has captivating-killer blue eyes! The cold, emotionless, and the most feared one here in the academy because of how powerful he is—ang prinsepeng walang sinasanto, at walang paki-alam—Prince Aiden Axel Smith!” She exaggerated said na ikina-iling ko na lamang. “The Prince of Phyron kingdom—the kingdom of Fire,” I am waiting for her to look who she talking about but she didn’t and I think she’s afraid to look at that man. “And you know what? Aside from the Watson brothers, he’s also a wielder of one of the rarest fires which is the purple fire! Kaya nga rin takot na takot sa kaniya lahat ng estudyante dito and there was a time that someone—isang estudyante na niyaya siya ng laban and that student almost died! My deities! Almost all of the students witnessed how brutal he is! Imagine, he didn’t use any of his power yet while that stupid student use all of his power but still ended up in the clinic while his life is in the line!”

I am watching her expression I think, she is reminiscing what happened that day. There’s horror in her eyes and I can say that the prince of the fire kingdom is brutal, merciless, and nakakatakot. He’s a dangerous prince and his looks, and aura says it all. In all of the members of the Alphas, there’s only one member who has a different kind of aura and I think, siya ang tinutukoy ni Gen.

“Aside from purple fire, he can also wield the element of lightning while he has multiple abilities—that’s all I know—that’s all we know. Because you see, he’s too private, but we know what are his guardians—but you know what, Lars?” She leaned a bit and said, “His guardians are super nakakatakot! And you know what are his guardians are?” No, I don’t. “They are griffin and chimera!” She’s half shouted-half whispering and when I learned about his guardians I can’t help but feel amazed again.

He’s that powerful, huh?

Even none of them are the summoner of the supreme guardians, they still have powerful guardians. Idagdag pa ang kanilang mga kapangyarihan—the element and abilities that they wield. At mas lalo pa silang lumakas dahil sa mga guardian nila. We all can use our guardian’s abilities—their magic but it wasn’t easy that’s why it needs a lot of effort and practice.

“And lastly… the lady who has hazel eyes…” she said, hesitating to continue but I only hold her hand and nodding my head—telling her to continue. Bumuntong-hininga naman siya bago unti-unting ngumuso at bumulong ngunit hindi naman nakatakas sa aking pandinig. “Kilala naman niya, eh. Hmp!” Natawa naman ako ng mahina na ikina-irap niya lang sa akin at wala ng nagawa pa kung ‘di ang ipakilala ang huling miyembro ng Alphas. Let’s see if she still remembers. “That’s Princess Clara Odette White, the Princess of Wynyard kingdom—the ice kingdom. “An ice and lighting user and her sub-powers are invisibility, and illusion while her guardians are unicorn and winged-lion,” tinaasan ko siya ng kilay ng mapansin kong wala na siyang balak na idagdag. “Oh, bakit? Gusto mo pa yatang i-kwento ko buong buhay niya?” Tass-kilay na tanong nito sa akin.

Nginisian ko lamang siya na ikina-irap niya lamang sa akin kaya naman natawa na lang ako. I almost finish my food and I noticed that half of the students are already left the cafeteria kaya hindi na masyadong maingay. Medyo mabaha pa naman ang oras namin at baka uuwi muna ako ng dorm after lunch while waiting for our next class.

“I have a question,” I said before looking outside the window.

“What is it?”

Huminga muna ako ng malalim bago siya muling tinignan at sinabi ang katanungan ko. “Why the prince of fire has multiple abilities?” I curiously asked which made her think.

I’m confident that she knows about it. Siya pa ba?

We all have the ability of telepathy or mind-link—royals, nobles, and commoners possess that ability while only royalties possess teleportation. Nobles and commoners can also possess teleportation ngunit hindi lahat and it’s not their natural ability, unlike royalties. That’s why thinking that the prince of fire possesses multiple abilities made me curious—was the deities gifted him that much? Or did he do something to give him such a reward?

And my curiosity only cured when Gen answered me.

“Dahil mayroon siyang nilabag na rules dito sa academy—the rule of whole Luminaria realm,” pabitin niyang sagot. Napakunot naman ang nuo ko sa kaniya. Paano ‘yon naging dahilan para madagdagan ang sub-powers niya? Pabitin pa kasi! “Rule na ‘wag papasok sa Temple of Powers—the temple that can move your powers or if you’re favorite of deities then that temple will even gift you another power. But you see, no one successfully returned with a gifted power, instead, their power just vanished—removed by the temple and those people who dared entering that temple just turned into normal immortal—immortal that powerless,” she shrugged nonchalantly. “That’s why they forbids anyone to enter that temple,” paliwanag niya at mukhang alam ko na ang kasagutan sa mga tanong ko.

That prince has some guts, huh?

“Nilabag niya ang rule na ‘yon at hindi alam ng lahat kung ano’ng nangyari sa kaniya do’n because he did not tell anyone about it—even to his parents. Ang alam lang ng lahat ay nadagdagan ang kaniyang sub-powers pero ang kapalit no’n ay ang pagkawasak ng templong iyon—he even become more powerful—especially his purple fire and his guardians. Hindi alam kung sinira ba niya ang templo o kusa itong nasira,” aniya bago ipinagpatuloy ang pagkain.

That temple destroyed itself when that prince of fire got the temple’s power.

***

Paalis na kami Gen sa Cafeteria at patungo na sa kaniya-kaniya naming kwarto at balak na ni Gen kausapin si headmaster patungkol sa paglipat niya sa aking kwarto. Wala namang problema sa akin, eh, lalo naman sa mga kasama ko. Pero ang tanong, papayag kaya si headmaster?

“You don’t have to wait for me, okay? Just go straight to our class. Alam mo naman na kung saan ‘yon,” I just nodded while we’re still walking.

Sumakay kami sa elevator at dahil mauuna ang floor kung na saan ang kwarto ko ay nagpaalam na ako sa kaniya. I went straight to my room at unang hinahanap ang magkapatid at ang dalawang maliliit na nilalang. Narinig ko naman sila sa walk-in closet kaya pumunta ako do’n at itinago ang aking presensya. Pinakinggan ko naman ang mga pinag-uusapan nila at pinanood sila mula sa naka-siwang na pintuan.

“I'm bored.”

“Shut up, brother.”

“Let's just wait Lara.”

“Tati is right.”

Hindi ko naman mapigilang mapatawa ng mahina kaya dahilan ‘yon upang mapalingon sila sa akin. Si Zephyr ay nakahiga padapa sa mga towel na maayos na nakatiklop, si Sarafina naman ay tinutulungan si Tati na magtiklop ng mga damit habang si Lia naman ang naglalagay sa cabinet. Hindi ko naman mapigilang mapangiti dahil sa ginagawa ng tatlong babae at napasimangot ng tumingin ako kay Zephyr.

“Lara!” Masaya nilang pagtawag sa akin.

“Hello, girls!” Bati ko sa kanila bago tinignan si Zep. “You, lazy ass old cat!” Wika ko ng nakasimangot ngunit inirapan niya lamang ako.

“What the use of their powers anyway?” He answered back which made the ladies scoff.

Tinulungan ko na lang din sina Tati dahil madami-dami rin ang mga damit na tinitiklop nila. This is sponsored by the academy—mayaman sila, eh. “What happened to your meeting with the faculty earlier?” I asked.

“Fuck them all,” Nalukot na lamang ang mukha ko dahil sa sinabi ni Zep habang ang iba ay naiiling lang.

“We learned that they are searching for the summoners of the supreme guardians—even the rebellions are searching too. The academy intends to look for the summoners and make them study here in the academy. It is to train them and make them ready to finish the rebellions that the god of darkness formed to create nothing but chaos,” Fina explained but I feel like Zep doesn’t like the idea.

I heard Zep tsked before saying, “In short, if they learned that Lara was the summoner of all the supreme guardians, they will use her against the rebellions and those fucking rebellions will do everything they can just to get her and fucking use her too. Immortals are really fucking sucks. They will use someone just to get what they fucking want,” anito at ang bawat salita niya ay maroong gigil.

“When they learn that the supreme guardians only have one summoner, for sure, rebellions will really do anything just to get our Lara. This is the first time—unang beses na iisa lamang ang summoner ng mga supreme guardians and it makes Lara a powerful immortal that ever existed in this era,” Tati said while Lia nodded.

And being powerful comes with great responsibility too.

Bumuntong-hininga naman ako bago sila nginitian ng masuyo. “Don’t worry about me… besides, I have all of you…” I told them—trying to make them feel at ease. “If using me makes this realm put at peace then so be it. But it doesn’t mean that I will be alone because I have you—my guardians. And I am sure that it’s not just our fight but also every elementalists’ fight,” I said while smiling softly at them. Lumambot ang ekspresyon nila at napatitig sa akin.

“Tsk! Just promise me that you won’t tell anyone that you are the only summoner of all the supreme guardians, understood?” Masama pa rin ang timpla ni Zep ngunit alam kong nag-aalala lamang siya.

“Opo,” sagot ko at nakita ko naman na napalingon si Fina sa kapatid.

“Let’s just tell them that we will be going to communicate with other supreme guardians and tell them to stop from looking at the other summoners,” Fina suggested and it made her brother nod.

“Good idea. Let’s tell them right away so they won’t look stupid looking for nothing,” masungit na wika ni Zep. “But for sure, those fucking rebellions will get curious why the academy stopped—well, it’s the academy’s problem anyway on how to solve that thing. Tsk!” Pagpapatuloy niya bago humilata.

Bumuntong-hininga na lamang ako kaka-mura ng pusang ‘to. Zephyr is also known as a cussing machine and no one can stop him from cussing. But Zephyr may be known as short-tempered, brutal, merciless, or whatsoever that making him look like a bad guardian, he still cares. He cares so much but he has his own way of how he cares for someone and how he how his love for me.

“I thought I can finally summon all of you here…” nakanguso kong bulong ngunit malalakas ang mga pandinig nila.

“You still can summon the others, dear, but you have to be careful while you still need to hide who you really are—that you are the summoner of all supreme guardians. You still can summon whoever you want to summon but if it was necessary only, okay?” Fina explained to me and her explanation satisfied me.

“That’s good to hear!” I answered and we all chuckle while Zep only smirk before he closed his eyes. May bigla naman akong naalala kaya muli ko silang tinignan. “By the way, Gen wants to transfer here in our room and she currently handling it right now,” balita ko sa kanila. Fina and Tati’s eyes are sparkling, while Zep only nodded while his eyes are still closed, and Lia was confused. “She’s my best friend, Lia, at makikilala mo siya mamaya,” wika ko at ngumiti sa kaniya. She smiled at me too before she nodded.

I hope the headmaster will grant Gen’s request.

***