Chapter 24: A Mother's Cry

Chapter 24: A Mother’s Cry

Caelum was crying every time I am leaving him that’s why I have no choice but to bring him with me. I planned to buy things for him before the ranking starts that’s why I wake up early and good thing that malls here are opening at an early hour. Tati and Lia wanted to go with me but I told them that I can handle it since I am sure that fairies will be going to help me carry the things that I will buy for baby Caelum.

The academy right now is too busy to notice that I am carrying a baby. Para makarating ako sa central ay kinailangan ko pang mag-rent ng sasakyan—sasakyan na kapareho lamang ng bus—same design but different size. It serves as a taxi here in this realm and it’s also comfy but I just also learned that they call it taxi. Sinabi ko ang destinasyon ko sa driver kaya do’n kami nagtungo.

Caelum and I are both looking outside—especially, above the sky since kitang-kita mula sa sinasakyan namin ang itaas. It was transparent that’s why we had the privilege to see those different flying things on the sky. Either pegasus, or any other animals that could fly, o ‘di kaya ay mga sasakyan na kaya ring lumipad. When we reached the mall, wala na akong inaksaya pang oras at kaagad ng tinungo kung saan ako makabibili ng mga gamit pang-bata.

After this, if Mimi already have a free time, I will tell her about my baby and if I could keep him in my dorm. Well, all I know that it’s not forbidden to keep your child on your dorm, sa totoo nga ay may nakikita rin akong mga estudyante na may anak na but it’s not a problem at all. Basta ba, kayang-kaya nilang pagsabayin ang pag-aaral, pagiging magulang, at ang pagkuha ng misyon and I salute those parents slash students na kayang mag-multi task.

I was now walking hanggang sa maya-maya pa ay may bigla namang lumapit sa aming pixie and it was mentioning me to follow her and that’s what I did. Sila ang mga klase ng pixies na tinutukoy ko—ang mga pixies na lumalapit pa rin naman sa mga imortal ngunit hindi nila sinusubukang mapalapit sa mga kagaya namin and besides, we won’t understand each other though but their queen and Merlia was a different story.

Habang sinusundan ko ang pixie ay napansin ko namang nakatitig lang si Caelum sa pixie habang nakakunot ang nuo and yeah, he’s so cute when he’s curious. “That’s a pixie fairy, Caelum, and mamma has one too,” napatingin naman siya sa akin at unti-unting ngumiti. 

Habang buhat ko siya ay naka-suporta ang isang kamay ko sa likod niya at pansin ko lang sa kaniya na ang hilig niyang sumandal sa balikat ko, pati na rin ang pagbaon niya ng kaniyang mukha sa leeg ko. It was a cute gesture of him but right now, a pixie that we currently following caught his attention and he was chuckling but it has no sounds.

Ngunit napatigil naman ako sa paglalakad ng mayroong biglang lumapit sa amin. “Uhm… excuse me?” It was a woman and her tone was so polite and when I look at her, a pleasant smile was formed on her lips. I smiled at her too and my eyes are asking until she spoke again. “Ang cute naman ng anak mo, hija…” she said while looking at my son that also looking at him. “And he will turn into a handsome man someday that will make every ladies drool over him… just like his father…” hindi ko maiwasang mangunot ang nuo dahil sa winika nito.

Wait… what did she say?

I stared at this woman and I bet that she’s just the same age as my grandmother. Hindi ko naman malalaman ang tunay niyang edad base sa pisikal niyang anyo dahil mukha pa rin siyang bata. Immortals will stop aging when we turned twenty-five but we could feel each other if they are older or younger than us. But if you would really like to look like your real age, then there’s a spell that you could take but there’s an expiration date.

Caelum and I are both staring at her and I am speechless because of what I have heard from her. I never thought of Caelum’s father until today. All I know was I am Caelum’s mother and I never thought of him having a possible father but… does he really have? Ngunit… sino? But, why would I think such a thing? Should I ask Queen Clarion? Should I ask for help from her?

“What’s his name, hija?”

Napakurap-kurap naman ako ng muli itong magsalita and that’s when I realized that Caelum was leaning on my left shoulder now while still looking at the lady in front of me. “Caelum po, Caelum Skylar Axel,” I answered while I can feel something from her—a feeling that only a member of a royal family can possess but she was hiding it.

Who is she…?

When she heard my son’s name, I just saw her sweet smile at mayroong sinasabi ang kaniyang mga mata. “You named your son after his father’s name without even realizing it, huh?” She said and she chuckled lightly while I was only looking at her—wondering what she means. “You had a great choice of picking up your son’s name, young lady. His father will be happy if he learns about this…” she said again at hindi na ako nakatiis.

“You… know who’s my child’s father…?” I asked and my forehead creased.

The lady was still smiling at me. “You’ll know him soon and your son know who’s his father but as for now, you have to take care of him first before knowing his father. He’s just around and not soon after, he will know about his child too and I am sure, he will be beyond happy after knowing this, especially that you are his child’s father,” she answered instead and give me a mysterious smile.

I was too curious at siguradong hindi na naman ako nito patutulugin but I have to focus on Caelum first. Whoever Caelum’s father is… argh! I don’t know! Bumuntong-hininga na lamang ako bago nginitian ang kaharap kong babae. She knows something but she has no plan on telling me! I wanted to know yet I also know that I am not yet ready to know him. Parang hindi ko pa kaya… hindi ko pa alam kung ano ang gagawin ko kung sakali mang malalaman ko ang patungkol sa kaniya.

Sa ama ng anak ko…

“I am Avery, by the way,” the mysterious smile has already vanished and her sweet smile came back. “Just call me Mommy Av and I am rooting to see you again… especially, my grandson…”

***

Tinulungan ako ng mga fairies na dalhin sa kwarto namin ang mga gamit na pinamili namin ni Caelum para sa kaniya kaya hindi na ako na hirapan pa at habang pabalik na kami sa dorm ay pansin kong wala ng mga estudyante dito dahil na sa arena na silang lahat kung saan gaganapin ang ranking and I could hear their faint screams—I could hear their loud noises from here.

Everyone is excited and ready…

Pagdating namin sa kwarto ay nagpasalamat ako sa mga fairies bago ako naka-receive ng message mula kay Gen and she was telling me to look for the seats that assigned for the Betas. The ranking was about to start kaya kailangan ko ng magmadali. I look at Caelum and I think, he also know that I have to leave him here since I can’t bring him in the arena. Hindi ko naman nakita dito sina Tati at Lia at hindi ko alam kung saan sila pumunta.

“Kanino naman kaya kita iiwan?” Mahinang tanong ko habang nakatitig sa mga mata niya.

“SA AMIN!”

Nagulat naman kami ni Caelum dahil may biglang sumigaw sa gilid namin at dahil sa gulat ay napaiyak si Caelum kaya inalo ko siya kagaad bago napatingin kina Merlia at Titiana na ngayon ay pinagsisihan ang kanilang ginawa. They are in human form and wearing a simple clothes which made them look like a simple immortals.

“Oh… sorry, baby Caelum,” sabi ni Merlia bago niya rin hinaplos ang likod ni Caelum, and just like magic, Caelum stopped from crying and stared at Lia and Tati.

“Hello, little heaven…” it was Tati and she was smiling brightly at Caelum. “I’m your Tita Tati and that’s your Tita Lia,” Caelum smiled and he scrunches his nose cutely which made our face soften.

Humarap naman sa akin si Lia habang si Tati naman ay sinusubukang kunin sa akin si Caelum. “You should get ready, Lars. Ranking is about to begin,” Lia said at sakto namang sumama na si Caelum kay Titiana.

Naligo ako ulit at sinuot ang white suite—the suite of the Betas and also a white leather boots. Na sa kaliwang dibdib ko rin ang pin habang hinayaan ko lang ang buhok kong nakalugay and I want a curly hair right now and that’s what I did. I didn’t put any hair clip at nilagay lang ang itim kong panali ng buhok sa right wrist ko and I am ready.

We were required to wear our section’s suite right now and I learned that after this ranking, hindi na ang buong Betas ang makasasama ko tuwing klase—kung hindi ako malilipat ng section—kung ‘di ang mga kagaya ko na ring mga first year and I will have classmates that will come from different sections but I do hope that Gen will still be going to be my classmate since we’re both freshmen—yes, she’s still in the first year—first year college but we are learning about magical stuff.

She graduated high school here and now we’re both colleges—first term in college but we’re already thinking if we will continue to take senior college. Pero mahaba pa naman ang oras namin and besides, we’re still freshmen and we don’t have to rush things. We still have to focus on our present first before thinking about those things.

Pagtapos ko ay lumabas na ako and I am ready for today’s ranking. Nakita ko naman si Merlia na pinatutulog si Caelum at si Titiana na inaayos ang gamit na binili namin kanina. Pumunta naman ako kay Caelum na tulog na at hinalikan siya sa nuo.

“Good luck, Lara!”

“Break a leg!”

I smiled at them before storming out to our room and going to the arena and looking for the Betas. I still have time that’s why I message Gen when I already reached the arena—informing her that I just arrived.

***

Ingrid Genevieve Taylor

Na sa pinaka-ibaba kami kung saan gaganapin ang laban—kung saan hahasahin ang lakas ng estudyanteng kagaya namin and Betas are just sitting on the front seats while Alphas has special seat that only for them and close to our seats—the VIPs of the academy indeed. Kanina pa ako nandito at hinihintay si Lara at hindi na siya hinintay pa kanina sa dorm namin dahil sinabi ni Lia at Tati na matatagalan pa siya—kung saang lupalop man siya nagsuot.

The other realms are already here yet they are not yet showing themselves to us but we could feel them and it was new for everyone. Ipakikilala sila mamaya at do’n pa lamang sila lalabas and everyone are also excited to meet them. Minsan lang ‘to mangyari and this batch was lucky to experience this thing—for us to meet the other realms. I do hope that we will also experience stepping our feet in other realms too.

I received a message from Lara and she’s already here that’s why I roam my eyes and there! I saw her walking towards us until she run and I noticed that every student that she passed are all looking at her—including the Alphas. Na sa itaas na bahagi ang upuan ng Alphas at nilagpasan ito ni Lara and I bet that she didn’t notice them.

Betas greeted her and she greeted back while smiling at them. She’s telling good luck to them with a smile on her face before she sat beside me and face my sulking face. “Bakit ba ang tagal mo? At saan ka pumunta?” Nakasimangot kong tanong dito dahil alam kong hindi naman siya basta-bastang aalis, lalo na kung wala siyang kasama dahil hindi pa naman niya kabisado ang lugar na ‘to.

Or maybe our grandparents tour her around the central?

“Later…” tanging sagot niya na ikinanguso ko naman bago kami sabay na tumingin sa harapan ng mag-umpisa na.

“LUMINA STUDENTS! ARE YOU READY?!” The emcee shouted and those students who are excited shouted back causing the arena to be filled with their screams. “Okay, before we start, let us welcome first the other realms in our academy!” Their screams became louder—ang ha-hyper nila! “This batch is lucky to experience this kind of thing! That’s why I won’t take it any longer! Let us all welcome the students from every realms’ academies!” Everyone is waiting until the emcee introduced the first academy. “From the land of mages, Magimus Academy!”

Students screamed, even more, when the students that came from the said academy showed up themselves and everyone are looking at them. These students are wearing black leather capes at kapansin-pansin ang malaking lotus flower sa likod ng kanilang cape and it looks beautiful. It was color purple but there was a group that has a different color—it was color gold and they are six. Naiiba din ang kanilang uniform na natatakpan ng kanilang cape and I guess, they are the highest section—just like Alphas.

May narinig naman akong bulungan dahilan ng maintriga ako kaya nakinig ako—perks of having an enhanced hearing ability.

“The Magimus Academy’s royals are here too! Oh, my deities! Sa wakas, nakita ko na din sila!”

“That six students in front—where their lotus flower was color gold are the royals of Magimus Academy—also called the Regnums, and I heard that they are the keepers of the deities' sacred stones!”

“Well, I guess, one of the big three’s academies are here! I’m looking forward to another one since Lumina Academy is one of the big three academies!”

Big three Academies? That’s my first time knowing that there’s such thing! And what? They are the keepers of the deities’ sacred stones? Wow… they are that powerful, huh? Nakamamangha man ngunit alam kong palaging na sa panganib ang kanilang buhay dahil sila lang naman ang may hawak ng mga bagay na gustong makuha ng mga masasama.

Big three academies…

But it made me wonder… why it’s only three? How about the other academies? Especially, the academy of nightwalkers. Pero bigla kong naalala na hindi pala sila masyadong nakisasalamuha sa mga kagaya namin—especially, vampires because of the smell of our blood—the smell that could make them go crazy and I wonder if they are here…

“And from the land of charmers, Alastair Academy!”

The students from Magimus Academy stayed in the middle until the students from Alastair Academy came that also wearing leather capes with hoods. Kung maiksi lamang ang capes ng Magimus Academy, sa kanila naman ay mahaba at mayroon pang hood. And just like Magimus Academy, they also have something behind their capes—it was navy blue two upside-down big letter A and there’s a gold wings on it.

Ngunit kapansin-pansin ulit ang isang grupo na nasa unahan and the color of the symbol behind them was all gold and I am sure that their uniform was different too. But there are only five members and there is only one girl in their group—the supreme students of Alastair Academy. When I look at the supreme students of Magimus Academy again before looking back at the supreme students of Alastair Academy… I just heard voices but the last one froze me.

“The Elites! The protectors of Alastair realm!”

“That group is the royals of Alastair Academy and they are also called the Elites. They are the protectors of their realm and if the Magimus has keepers, while Alastair has protectors, then Luminaria—”

“—has guardians,” bulong ko at napatulala na lang.

And those guardians are… Alphas.

***

Third Person’s Point Of View

“What my sister exactly did to my daughter, mother?” Princess Jade was trying not to burst out but she don’t think she will stay calm once she know what happened to her daughter last night.

She really doesn’t have any idea what happened last night’s dinner—all she know was that her twin—Queen Emerald made her princess cry because that’s what her mother told her. She wanted to know right away—she doesn’t like the idea of someone making her daughter cry and knowing that it was her twin, makes her blood boil in anger.

‘She doesn’t need to drag my daughter in our problem!’

The Mother Queen sighed before deciding to tell her because that’s her right as Princess Lara’s mother. But even her mother won’t tell her, she will do anything to know what really happened. ‘I hate it when someone hurts my daughter’s feeling!’ Until her mother started to tell her what exactly happened last night and she couldn’t help but tremble because of anger and her mother—the whole palace can feel it.

“Emerald…” she was trembling while her fists are firmly closed while the room that they were in was starting to feel cold.

“Anak… you have to calm down yourself! I told you what happened because that’s your right as my granddaughter’s mother! Calm down!” Her mother was trying to calm her down but she can’t hear anything. All she know was that her twin made her daughter cry.

“She doesn’t have to do that…” she gritted her teeth because of anger before looking into her mother who was trying to calm her down. “She doesn’t have to hurt my daughter’s feelings, mother! She doesn’t have to tell that to my daughter!” She shouted angrily. She imagined her daughter crying and being affected because of what happened and she just felt her chest tightening. She stood up while tears started to form in her eyes. “She’s innocent and she just hurt my innocent daughter! It was her dream to have an auntie—to know my family! To know you yet this is what happened?! She wanted to get to know you! She wanted to be close to this family but I know that except for you and father, this family doesn’t want her! They don’t like her and it’s because of me!” She cried and her tears can’t stop from falling. “And it pains me more when I can see my daughter feeling hurt because she could feel them being distant to her! Because they don’t like her when she was there—dreaming to get close to her auntie and her family!” Her mother started to cry too when she saw her firstborn break down in front of her.

It was rare for her to see her firstborn crying—she doesn’t cry in front of them—in front of many people but seeing her like this broke her heart. ‘This is the mother’s cry for her hurting child…’ But what she heard from her breaks her heart more. She could hear her pain—she could see her pain through her eyes and what she said is something more.

“Ako na lang ang saktan niyo… ako na lang, ‘wag lang ang anak ko…” the princess couldn’t take it anymore. She knows that her daughter was hurting even she’s not telling her because she knows that it will hurt her too. “A-Ako ang may kasalanan… ako na lang ang p-parusahan niyo… a-ako na lang ang sabihan niyong mawala… ‘wag ang anak ko…” humihikbi nitong wika bago siya niyakap ng kaniyang ina na umiiyak na rin at pinatatahan siya. “Gusto lamang ng anak kong mapalapit sa inyo… m-matagal na niyang pangarap ‘yon… but please! If you really don’t like her, y-you don’t have to hurt her feelings more… y-you don’t have to wish her like that…” she said while still crying.

Umiiyak lamang siya bago siya tumayo ng tuwid at pinunasan ang kaniyang mga luha. ‘I-I need to her my daughter…’ She knows her daughter, hindi mabilis mawala ang nararamdaman niyang sakit, lalo na kung apektadong-apektado ito at alam niyang hanggang ngayon ay nasasaktan pa rin ito ngunit pilit nitong uunawain ang mga nangyayari. Her daughter is strong, she knows, but this kind of thing was new to her.

Humarap siya kung na saan ang pamilyang galit sa kaniya at kasama nito ang kanilang ama na alam niyang kanina pang nando’n—na narinig ang kaniyang mga sinabi. She look at her twin expressionless and she doesn’t give a damn whatever their reaction right now. ‘They don’t care about me and my daughter anyway…’ “If I am not only needed in the academy—if I am not only the headmistress of the academy, I will never come back here,” she said coldly and she heard gasped from her mother but she stay still. “I know that you all mad at me—your anger was underestimate but my daughter was out of this… it wasn’t her fault that I am her mother. My sin will never be my daughter’s sin. It will be forever mine and from now on, I will never care if you will all forgive me—I will never care about you from now on and I will never let my daughter come near you…”

“Jade!”

It was her father but she didn’t care, instead, she turn her back at them—attempting to leave them but before that, she spoke again. “Don’t worry, Emerald, my daughter and I won’t bother you and your family anymore…”

‘I do hope that I will never regret coming back here with my daughter.’

***