Chapter 26 - Interview? Oh don't be ridiculous, darling!

Saturday, 2nd August, 1986

Madrid, Spain

We haven't had much time that afternoon, when we arrived to Madrid. Jet from Barcelona, checking-in the hotel, a couple minutes of rest and we already found ourselves in a separated room of the hotel, because the boys had to do an interview session for various Spanish TVs. Roger of course was keen on of me being there with him, but Jim also asked me earlier, for being around and to help. You know, checking the room and just to prepare everything with him, so the boys will be comfortable during these interviews.

By the time the boys arrived the first crew has already been set up with their cameras and been checking all the lights. There was a couch at the wall and a smoking table before that, the boys will sit there. Jim discussed some technical aspects with the crew, while I checked the table if there's enough drinks, ashtrays and all that necessary stuff. The boys stepped in smiling, greeting the crew then sitting down to the couch. As Mary also came down to be near to Freddie, we got another chair for her and took our sits not so far away, so in case the boys need something, we can hand it immediately.

A couple more settings, some lighting-test and the interviewer already greeted the boys and had his first question:

-Some people say that you are doing commercial music nowadays. What do you think about it?

The boys were smiling at each other, seemingly thinking who should answer the question, until Queen's diplomat, John Deacon spoke up. I looked up to him with wide open eyes: John speaking in an interview? Looks like miracles are still happening in the world.

-I don't agree it could be said we're doing more commercial music. We've always kept up to date as things have changed throughout the years, you know. When we first started, there were no synthesisers or they were in very early stages and drum machines weren't known yet. Everything that's been developed throughout the years you know, such as computerised keyboards, have benefited us. If we think about it, we've kept up to date. We don't ignore the different things that are happening.

-There were some rumours about your splitting, but seemingly they are not true. What makes you stay together for 15 years now?

-We stay together because we've got nothing else to do. – Freddie ashed his ciggie and scratched, rather caressed his face. Brian smiled, Roger and John laughed out hearing this manifestation of Freddie's blunt humour and so did we, Mary, Jim and me. Actually I had to cover my mouth with my hand to choke off my loud laughter. Freddie continued:

-Now seriously, it's something we like to do, 'cause we're all...we've been doing it for so long. If one of us doesn't want to do it, it's easy to leave the group, I mean, in terms of money, we don't need to be together to make money, but it keeps us together. This matter of money always comes up, making money always keeps us together.

-Yeah... – Roger nodded, speaking up, but Freddie continued:

-I mean we do like playing and we do like...we also like our own music, so...

-Really, that's our sort of parent company that looks after all our affairs. – Roger spoke up – We sort of don't have to be...we're not really interested in it, we only look after the artistic side: we write the music and we try to make the stage act, you know make better than anyone else...in the world...maybe. And we make...we've got all these people, you know, accountants and business managers, and they take our side in Queen Productions.

-The other thing is also we have lots of other subsidiary companies. – Freddie took back the word from Roger – There are so many I can't even remember all their names, I don't know why we've got them. But in fact, each year, new companies arise for one reason or another. And I've forgotten half of their names. We've also got our own individual companies, I mean, in the end it's better just simply to say "Queen". – Freddie waved and ashed his ciggie again – All kinds of names, like Nightjar – he looked at Roger, waving again – and Goose and...