Chapter 5 - Everybody Hurts Sometime

Saturday, 12th July, 1986

Wembley Arena, London

-John...John Richard Deacon...would you please explain to me what the hell is going on here? - we heard. I stared at the direction of the voice while John broke the cuddle and turned around quickly.

-John, I asked you something - her voice became more threatening and desperate as she stepped closer to us - Would you explain to me what is going on here?

-V...Veronica. - John looked at her confused.

-Mrs Deacon - I started - I'm sorry but this is not what you think...

-I wasn't asking YOU - she pointed at me - I was asking my husband!

-Veronica, she's right, it's not what it seems to be. - John sighed and rolled his eyes.

-Really? I come here, seeing you cuddling this...this...

-Veronica! - John raised his voice and I looked at him surprised again, because I've never heard him raising his voice before.

-...and you both saying I love you to each other and you're telling me it's not what it seems like?

-Mrs Deacon, I can assure you... - I started to save the situation because I could see John trying to stay calm but in the meantime starting to be out of control and this is exactly what he didn't need before the gig.

-YOU shut your mouth! - she pointed at me again.

-Veronica... - John closed the door now, but she continued:

-So John, this is what, huh? That's why we can't work out our marriage? Because you're sleeping with her!

-What? No! - John and I shouted at the same time.

-I can't believe, I just can't believe - she shook her head. For me it seemed she also started to be a little bit out of control now - You ask me to come here and when I finally decide to save our marriage I have to see this...!

-Veronica, stop it! - John raised his voice again - I'm not sleeping with her, I never did!

-Don't tell me, I've seen you to...! - she also raised her voice, pointing a finger at John. Things started to be really mad now. I was in the middle of a jealousy scene without any reasons and God knows I didn't want to be. And as I looked at John, I knew him neither. I just had to do something and to clarify the situation for John. Yes, call me a bad person, but all I was caring about that moment was John and the fact I knew he HAS TO go out to that fuckin' stage soon, no matter what, even if gypsy kids are falling from the sky instead of rain - and without any reasons he just found himself in the middle of this drama. Not to mention his anyway unstable emotional condition, which he has been fighting with in the past few months and what made him to step on stage harder and harder as the tour went on. And what made him to drink more and more, no matter how much we tried to be there for him and stop him in this bad habit. I could hear Mary's words echoing in my mind as she told me only a couple minutes ago "This is pure show business. You have to leave all your feelings inside your bedroom." And now, this absolutely unnecessary scene seemed to risk the mental ability of my dear friend, my brother to step on that damned stage. Yes, I didn't' care about his marriage - that was something up to him to save if he wants to later, but not now.

-Mrs Deacon. - I spoke up.

-I told you to shut up, you...! - she yelled at me.

-Veronica! - John raised his voice a little bit more.

-John, no! - I looked at him and shook my head - It's okay Mrs Deacon - I turned to her now - you can call me a whore or a slut or anything you want to...