Chapter 19 "Refuge"

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. It's now six thirty in the morning on a Monday. I am finally going back to school for the first time in about four weeks. I have caught up on all my work, but it's not the same. I got up, fixed my hair, changed my cloths, and did my makeup. When I got out into the kitchen I had my breakfast and my new medication for depression. I will admit I am a little depressed and social media isn't helping. My friends made me delete my Instagram and block all the people I didn't like on my phone. It really helped, but my iPad still has it and every once and a while I check it. Some people are sympathetic, and others are not. It had calmed down but it's still pretty bad. I ate my breakfast and packed my bag. It was a lot heavier since I had so much work. I haven't seen my mother in days and I don't plan on seeing her ever again.

Child services came and took me to a foster home and welcomed me to my second chance. I have a new sister named Abby, and a brother named Daniel. I love them and I am in a safe and happy home.

I have been known to hold a grudge. I still blame Rose for the death of Jack in Titanic. Anyway, this isn't a grudge through, I am through parenting my mother. I want to get a job but there isn't that much to do when your fourteen. My foster parents have helped me by showing that they are loyal and caring. I really like them and I hope they learn that I'm not so bad.

Mrs. Parker still drives me to school because she feels bad about ditching me. I keep thanking her everyday. When I got to school a lot has changed. Anti bully posters were up, the school must have heard about me and Autumn. I saw Kyle and he just walked on over in pleasure.

"Well you seem happy." I said giving him a hug.

"Yes, Brittany and Todd were expelled and there is nothing their rich parents can do about it. Cyber bulling is against the in Arizona so they are expelling them." He said

"No way" I said

"Yep, and your looking at the new captain of the anti bulling committee, and guess who the new co-captain is..."

"Who." I asked even though I knew it was me.

"You silly, come on there is so much to do!" He exclaimed. After the half and hour talk with Kyle, it turns out we are having a guidance councler coming to the school, she is going to help everyone with all the bullying. We are going to stop the cliques and drama. "In fact we are going to have you speak to the whole school about your experience." Kyle said.

"Really, because that would be great. I want to tell people the real effects of bullying." I said. "In fact, we should do this for all the schools in the area!" I said

After about a month everything was settled. Brittany and Todd were expelled. The anti bulling committee has gone state wide, I make my speech today in front of the whole school and I'm a nervous as a cow about to become a steak.

I went into the bathroom and fixed my hair, I adjusted my skirt when Delilah walked in.

"Hey, are you nervous?" She said walking over.

"Yah, I am." I said looking down at my note cards.

"Don't be, your going to do great." She said "come on they are waiting for you."

I walked out to see the back stage of the assembly stage. When my name was announced I walked out onto the stage. Everyone was staring at me. I adjusted my skirt and blouse and walked towards the microphone.

It was just me and the school. I was their inspiration on not to hurt someone again. I was their refuge.

"Hello, my name is Sophia but many of you call me Sophie. How many of you know Brittany?" Then everyone raised their hands. "I know her too, she bullied a lot of people, and-" That's when I put my cards away and said "one person cannot put someone over the edge. Almost every person here wrote a hateful thing to me and Autumn and we all know what happened to her. Life sucks, it really does. When you write hatful things on the internet it sucks a lot more. You all can make it a little better by not writing these horrible things. All you have is each other, and you are gifted with the amazing opportunity to have friends and a family, for a while I didn't have any of that. Please save your friend and stick up for her or him. Tell someone, I made that mistake and you don't want anyone here to make it as well. Autumn made the mistake too, will you? Don't be afraid you can be safe from internet bullies and it can stop. You can block the people who are sending the hate, you can report them or tell their parents or a teacher. It can stop but it needs to start with you." I could tell that people weren't really moved by that.

"How many of you think that the spring dance is the most important thing in your life?" Everyone raised their hands "When I put that scarf around my neck and tied it to the drain I was wearing that dress. I even wrote a note saying that I wanted it on at my funeral, that dance was important to me too. I was devastated that I was going to miss it, but if it meant getting more hate then I couldn't do it." Then I stopped and everyone started clapping. I don't know what I did but it worked, I had touched the hearts of seven hundred people. I am so proud of myself.