Chapter 2

Needless to say I was not at my best the next day. I was so obviously nervous that the others looked even more weirded out by me than usually.

I was very thankful when Peggy and Tony joined me at breakfast and I was really amazed how calm they seemed. "You look absolutely terrible. Did you even sleep at all last night?", Peggy asked. I wanted to answer her, I really did but instead my eyes fell closed and my head crashed onto my plate as I fell dead asleep.

I felt someone shaking me and heared Peggy laughing. It was a beautiful sound. I never really realized how pure her laugh was. Or maybe I was only half awake and still dreaming. As I opened my eyes she looked at me worried and amused at the same time. "Steve, you really have to get some sleep before tonight. We need you completely functional.", she said. "That makes me sound like a machine.", I murmured. But she was right. And so I let her walk me to my bed where I layed down and she sat down next to me. As weird as it was that she offered to watch over me while I slept, it did make me feel better. And as I was drifting away I thought of her smile. She had a beautiful smile and I loved that she was such a badass. Really, I had never met a woman like her. And it made me wonder how she and Buck would get along. I always cared about his opinion but I was sure they'd be fast friends.

As I woke up Peggy sat on a chair a few feet away from my bed and slept. I admired her peaceful beauty for a while before I lifted her in my bed and covered her with my blanket. As I did so her eye lids began to flatter. I prayed she wouldn't wake up while I got seated in the chair. I didn't remain there long though as Tony stormed in to wake us up since our plan was about to begin.

As much as I hated it, the costume from the PR work had kind of become a piece of me and Tony made me a suit inspired by that, just not as costumy. And I had to admit, I loved it. We had made our way half way through the base when we got stopped by the commander. "Where do you think you're going?", he asked loudly and more curious soldiers joined the scene. I knew this was the moment I had to step up. So I walked up to the commander until we were no more than three feet apart and answered, "We are going to save the soldiers that lost contact near the Hydra base. And if we don't find them alive we'll at least finish their mission, Sir." "You can't go out there by yourself. And we sure won't send you any backup.", he replied. "Try and stop me. I don't care that you don't want to get them back. I do. Maybe we don't win a war saving everybody we can, but we sure won't win it abandoning our own men. I will go out there and fight for these people. And I will do it without your backup. If it doesn't work out that's on me. But at least I tried my best to do the right thing. And that's all any of us can do. So, please, let us do this, Sir.", I fired back. He gave me a resignated look and let me through.

I felt the adrenalin rushing through my blood as I had never stood up to anyone like that. It was a good feeling and it only encouraged me to pursue the plan. Yes, I was ready to save my people. And no one could stop me from doing so.

×××××

Yay! Stevie is finally standing up for himself and others. I gotta say it kinda reminds of these typical high school movies when the wallflower that was being bullied all along finally stands up to the queen of the mean girls. Just that this is more serious and not just as chliché.

By the way I'm sorry the chapters are this short but I hope they will get longer as the story progresses.

That's all from me for now. Hope you enjoy and all that's left to say is bye. See you soon!