Chapter 4

When the door was pushed open slowly I was slightly confused. The Hydra guards never did that. They threw the door wide open and disappeared instantly after they practically threw in a bunch of old, hardened bread. We got water to drink from a sink in the back corner of the cell. So far everybody cared for anyone else but I was suspecting that would change within a matter of days. I was in the army long enough to know that at some point you put your own life above anything else.

But now that the door opened I felt a shimmer of hope light up my heart. Something was different. But what I saw then had me convinced I was hallucinating. My best friend Steve entered. But it wasn't the Steve I knew. This version in front of me was strong and healthy and tall. So he was basically everything my Steve always wanted to be and the opposite of what he really was. I guess the only resemblance was the courage and the lack of fear.

This dream version of Steve looked around the room and stopped once he found me. "Bucky! Oh my god! Are you okay?", he wanted to know. All I could do was nod. I was exhausted and I hadn't slept in days just like everybody else. It was only now that I noticed that everybody was pushing forward to the bars. A thought crossed my mind that was hard to believe but the only logical explanation I could come up with. The Steve I saw was real. I didn't know how but it had to be true. I desperately wanted it to be true.

I had thought of Steve a lot since I was here. He was my only real friend and also the one person I'd do anything for. I was always trying to protect him since he was so tiny and couldn't possibly win a real fight. That never stopped him from starting them though. He always tried to stand up for what's right. And as much as I admired that and as proud as I was of him I really wished he had been more careful. Stevie was one of the most wonderful and honest people I knew. He had such a big and pure heart and always saw the best in everybody. Maybe he was just too nice for his own good. He had the desire to save the world and that worried me. Steve would die for that cause if he had the chance. And I couldn't imagine a world without him. It may be selfish to hope that it would hit someone else but I couldn't help the urge to put his wellbeing over that of someone else. Probably even above my own. But I guess it's normal that you would do literally anything for your best friend. Especially if you grew up like brothers. We were brothers at heart.

Anyway, I noticed a movement behind this new version of Steve. He turned around and gave the person a signal to come close. "Peggy, you have to pick the lock. I don't think I can break it.", he said to her in a soft and slightly anxious voice. "Don't worry, Steve. We'll get them out of here safe.", she replied just as soft while she put a hand on his shoulder.

This Peggy was stunning. And seeing how close her and Steve were made me uncomfortable. I felt like I was wintessing something I shouldn't see or that should better stay hidden. But there was another feeling that I couldn't read. Almost like she was taking something away from me. Though that didn't even make sense since she was giving me back my freedom by picking the lock and opening the door.

Everybody rushed out and Peggy lead them outside while I stopped next to Steve. It was weird to have to look up to see his face. "You looked different last time I saw you. You were less... I don't even know. You were just less. Maybe less impressive or something like that.", I stuttered. "Thanks, I guess. I feel different. It's a long story, I'll explain when we're back at the base. And after you've had a long shower. You don't look that different but your smell certainly isn't the same.", he said jokingly. I put my arm around his shoulders like I always used to and we followed the others.

We were almost at the door when Steve suddenly turned around and pushed me down and behind him while hiding the both of us behind a shield that I hadn't even noticed before. Then I heard gun shots and I winced. But Steve seemed quite relaxed. He pulled a gun from his belt and stuck out his head and the gun from behind the shield. He fired two shots and then stood up to lead me out the door in a hurry. We ran side by side with him masking my tempo but urging me to run faster.

We got shot at once more but again the shield protected us from the bullets while my best friend took out the shooter. Before this day I didn't know he even even knew how to hold a gun let alone to precisely hit a target.

Then we ran until we were off territory and into the woods. I pushed myself to go faster but these past few days or how ever long it had been since I was put in the cell took everything out of me. I managed to reach the rest of the group but then I was so weak I was afraid I might have a blackout. Steve noticed immediately and put one of my arms over his shoulders to support me. Like this we walked past the others to the front of the group. Peggy and another guy who must have come with them congratulated Steve and gave him a pet on the shoulder. He slightly blushed and looked down at the ground. The rest of the way back to the base the guy that turned out to be the genius scientist Tony Stark wanted to hear everything about how the shield worked. He seemed very proud of his work and he had every right to be. After all the shield did have no problem stopping bullets. It didn't even have a scratch on it.

I used the time to study Steve's outfit. It was fairly interesting. The dominating color was blue. The stomach part was covered in vertical red and white stripes and in the middle of the chest it had a white star. That explanation should be really interesting, I was sure. But for now I just wanted to sleep. Everything else would have to wait until tomorrow.

×××××

Finally I managed to write a longer chapter. And yay! Bucky is finally here. Do you think he and Peggy will get along? I guess you'll have to wait and see.

Although I don't have many readers yet I won't stop posting as regularly as I can. I just hope you stay with me until the end of this book and maybe for future projects as well. I'll keep you updated on what's coming.

That's all from me for now. Hope you enjoy and all that's left to say is bye. See you soon!