Chapter 5

Bucky's head fell on my shoulder a couple times along the way just for him to snatch back. Seeing him like this broke my heart. I knew how strong my best friend was and that nothing could bring him down. I couldn't imagine how horrible the past days must have been for him to look like this. Bucky had dark shades under his eyes, his hair was completely messed up and, though this might just be imagination, it almost looked like he had lost some weight.

After a while we reached the base where the other soldiers were lined up to welcome us and applauding. That didn't matter much to me though. I made my way through the crowd to get Bucky to his bed as fast as possible. He deserved a good night's sleep and I desperately hoped nobody would wake him up the next morning.

*****

When Bucky opened his eyes Steve was sitting on his bed, holding his hand. He kept falling asleep and snapping back. Bucky couldn't say how long he had slept but it could have been ages. He carefully nudged Steve to get his attention. "Hey Bucky. Did you get all the sleep you needed? You look much better." "Yes, I did. But did you get some sleep too?" "No, I stayed here to make sure no one would wake you up. That's the least you deserved.", Steve said in a caring voice. "You really didn't have to. I'm a survivor, remember?" "I know you are. But you have been through more than most people could bare and I can't do anything about it. If I can at least make your future the best it can be then that's what I'll do. You know I'd do anything for you. After all it's what you've done for me." Bucky's eyes filled up with tears. "That's the most beautiful thing you ever said to me. I couldn't ask for a better best friend." "I don't know what I would have done if I had lost you. You quite literally saved my life so many times. I'll never be able to make up for that. And I'll be damned if I don't spend my life trying."

Bucky sat up and pulled Steve into a tight hug. It felt right in this situation where they were both so honest and spilling their feelings. This hug was different than those the two of them had shared before. It was tighter. Maybe it was because Steve was stronger, maybe it was the relief of seeing each other again or the knowledge that they would always be there for each other and the trust they shared but it was a perfect little moment of happiness. At least until Bucky began to cough. "St-Steve... You're cutting off my circulation." "Sorry! I'm still adjusting to my new strength. I'm just so happy to see you." "I'm really happy too, Steve. And you look great!" Steve blushed a little and turned away.

×××××

I am so sorry I took so insanely long to update but school just started again and I had so much on my plate that I didn't have the energy or the motivation to write.

Now I know this is short but at least it's something. I hope you all are feeling good and relaxed, not too much homework. And I really hope I'll be back with a new chapter very soon.

That's all from me for now. Hope you enjoy and all that's left to say is bye. See you soon!