Chapter 9

When I tried to open my eyes it felt as if someone had glued them together. It took a lot out of me just to open them and when I did I immediately regretted it. The light was so bright that for a moment I thought I had landed on the sun. It would explain the fact that my whole body felt like it was on fire.

Once my eyes got used to the light I took in my surroundings. Everything was white. The walls were white, the bed I was laying in was white and even the people standing around my bed were wearing white. And that smell. I immediately knew I was at the infirmary. I had been here many times before I got injected with the serum.

"What happened?", I asked. "We heard an explosion at the Hydra base and immediately went there to look for casualties. We found you and Barnes on the scene. It looked like you had been shielding him with your body when the explosion hit.", said a distant voice. It wasn't one of the doctors but I knew the voice. It was Tony.

I could feel my heart beat increasing. "Where's Bucky?", I asked trying to stay calm. "You need to rest, Rogers. I will tell you everything once you are feeling better.", Tony answered. "I'm fine! I need to know about Bucky!", I demanded while sitting up. Tony looked down to the floor, hesitating to tell me what I wanted to know. I could feel the tears in my eyes when I asked, "Is he...?" "He's alive." I let out a big sigh of relief but Tony's face told me there was something wrong.

"Look, Steve. You probably saved his life by shielding him. But he's badly hurt. He lost a lot of blood and since he has the same blood type as you we gave him a transfusion of your blood on the scene. The serum in your blood should help him heal faster but it can't help his biggest injury.", Tony explained. "What is his biggest injury?"

"Please stay calm when you see him. I know it looks bad but I have an idea how I can fix it." That explanation didn't exactly help the bad feeling in my gut. We were standing at the door of Bucky's room about to enter. I was expecting something really bad but what I saw when Tony opened the door was worse.

×××××

Hey guys, I'm back with another short chapter but if I stick with this length updates might just come regularly. I hope this one is not too confusing or redundant but I am really tired. I have a pretty good idea where this story is headed by now and that's really gonna help with writing it.

That's all from me for now. Hope that you enjoy and all that's left to say is bye. See you soon!