Mermaids don't exist

Alpha. That's what Gavin called his boat, not because he likes he name, I mean he does like the name of course but he called his boat alpha just to spite his coworkers that his best was the 'alpha' boat, the better boat, or even the best. His boat wasn't the largest but on every single voyage he had been on, all the storms and harsh weather conditions, his boat never came back with a scratch. Some people said he'd take his boat somewhere and repair it before he came back to the dock but everyone knew that Gavin was one of the best, if not the best sailor. He held his title for so long and still does but he always has doubt in his work, he doesn't even try to be careful! He just does whatever he does and still no scratch with endure.

Gavin was assigned a sort of mission, one that requires a lot of skill and somebody who won't easily crash a boat; so obviously Gavin was chosen, as well as Hank because he knew a lot more about marine life than Gavin did, it didn't mean he didn't know anything, he just didn't know that much. Hank had told Gavin that they were going out to this certain part, in which it's like an island just slightly smaller, and there was also a small home for them to use for their stay. Gavin really didn't care much about staying over night where he didn't know, he only cared about finding new life underwater. Gavin and Hank had a thorough conversation about what they were trying to find and turns out they were trying to see if mermaids actually exist, Gavin was hysterical about this, not only did not believe in mermaids, he found out that the rest of the team did.

About an hour had passed when they finally arrived at the destination, Gavin was sceptical at first but eventually calmed himself. Hank on the other hand, loved the place as soon as they arrived, it was a hut that had two rooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and a decking out front.

Hank and Gavin both decided that they would go exploring tomorrow considering they had arrived at 6:35pm, although they both wanted to go right away they both decided that it would be best if they went early in the morning. Once both men had settled in to bed, a huge splash from the water erupted causing Gavin to fall out of bed, Hank however, didn't hear anything as he was sound asleep, so Gavin decided to venture on his own, grabbing a flashlight and a knife from the kitchen, he went out to the bay and shone his flashlight, begging nobody was there because he just wanted sleep and was in no mood to be frightened. After a few minutes he settled for maybe it was a fish but when he turned back round another large splash was made, he hurriedly turned around and froze on the spot, for there was a man a little far out into the water just floating and staring right back at Gavin.