17. Parental Intuition

"Our kids really are something huh?"

Pierce Grayson asked his husband the rhetorical question as he walked into his large closet and stripped himself of his business clothing to put on something cozy for bed.

He could hear the crackling of the fireplace in their bedroom and the quiet songs of lazy crickets from the outside. But the quiet in the room was disturbed by light sniffles that sent Pierce on high alert.

 But the quiet in the room was disturbed by light sniffles that sent Pierce on high alert

"Mika?"

The handsome father of Elias and Matthias slipped on a pair of cozy pajama bottoms before walking out of the closet barefoot on the hardwood floor. Stopping when he saw his precious soulmate sitting on the floor by the warm fire.

Mika had found the old photos in his closet and decided to look through them in search of pictures of their babies, who were no longer babies, to show the twins when it was time to explain their true birth story. Because of the rarity of the situation and fearing a cyber hacker, these memories were kept in a box of polaroids.

But when his long elegant fingers graced the photo of their twins in the NICU when they were first born. The tears soon flooded his eyes and he shyly covered his mouth with the sweater sleeve of his free hand. He had hoped to muffle the sobs from his keen husband, but it was of no use when he felt the strong presence behind him.

"They were so tiny," Mika could only whisper as he looks at his little peanut and ninja. Pierce slowly drops to his knees, pulling his much smaller husband onto his lap and into his arms to provide the comfort they both needed.

"Pierce, they're going to be eighteen next month and now they're talking about moving out...our babies are all grown up...it feels like just yesterday I was holding them on my chest and giving them little tickles," Mika sighed as he melted into his husband's chest.

The two relaxing into each other beside the crackling fireplace and they looked over the beautiful photos of their family.

"Soon they'll be married and having their own children like Tae and Clara," Pierce adds but this only adds to Mika's sadness as he turns to his husband.

"They're so handsome and loveable, they'll be taken from us by their significant others in no time," Mika pouts and Pierce only gently rests his head on the younger one's shoulder, engulfing him in his warmth.

"What was up with you and that boy today?" Mika asks as they stare at a toddler photo of their youngest children on Haloween. Their eldest wanted to be Darth Vader and made his younger siblings turn into Princess Leia, Yoda, and a wookie. 

"Did you see the hickeys on Eli's neck?" Pierce directed the question and Mika gently shrugs.

"They're seventeen Pierce," He simply states and Pierce grumbles in response. 

"But Eli...Eli is different," he says and Mika flips to the next photo. It was the twin's first day of kindergarten and little Matty stood on their front porch in a button-down blue plaid shirt and little jeans with converse while Eli had his long black hair tied back and wore a navy blue dress dotted with small swans and white lace around the collar.

"He's so petite and fragile, I just don't want him to get his heart broken. He's my baby...girl," Pierce gently whispers the last word as he takes the photo from Mika, examining it closely.

"Yeah, that Ryan guy was a real dickhead but I get good vibes from Milo, and yeah, remember when he use to love wearing dresses and putting on makeup with his sister. He was so cute," Mika sighs and Pierce hands him the photo.

"Yeah, and then he stopped once he hit puberty. I wonder why," he muttered as he did. Mika took another photo of Eli dressed like his favorite Disney princess.  

"Maybe he grew out of it. We certainly never discouraged it," Mika points out and Pierce nods in agreement but for some reason, that answer didn't quite sit right with him.

"Have you noticed how Eli's been a little off?" Pierce asks and Mika puts the photos back in the box before turning to face his husband.

"Well he's just been stressed out and he's losing some weight but I think it's just from school and the band. I've been meaning to talk to him about it," Mika says as he wrapped his arms around Pierce's broad shoulders.

"What about this whole Clara taking Mahina situation? How do you feel about it?" Mika asks Pierce sighs.

"I don't like it but she has a point. Mahina's fathers were world-renowned ballerinas and spent their adult lives in Paris, they even have a statue of their most famous dance pose in front of the Eiffel Tower. As much as I hate to admit it, her history is there, not here," Pierce reluctantly admits and Mika gently rubs his back. They both knew that the right decision was.

"Clara's twenty-four, she's a fashion designer with her own brand and company, she's also very accomplished and shown that she's very responsible. If she takes Mahina to Paris and becomes her guardian she can not only provide her parents legacy and show her where she comes from, but she can teach Mahina French, and I think she'll be a good role model to her niece. That's what I think." Mika says. 

Although he loved his little granddaughter with a passion, he knew in the long run, she would be better off in her birthplace. 

Pierce looked a little hurt but he buried himself in Mika's shoulder.

"How did two guys raise such a strong, empowering, beautiful young woman like that?" Pierce chuckled and Mika rolled his eyes. 

"A lot of hard work and discipline, I'll tell you that much," Mika laughs and gently pecks Pierce's lips.

"We did good right?" The shy man asks and Pierce nods.

"No one's a crackhead, there were no secret babies, and they're happy and healthy. I think we did pretty good," Pierce reassures him, kissing the tip of his nose before the two crawl into bed for the night.