29. Kailani's Melody

Kai POV

"I can't believe you were discharged from the hospital and didn't tell me," 

Milo whines as he lays on the plush white carpet of the closet in my childhood home while playing with our little puppy, who now takes on the name of Keiki.

I sift through my closet, tossing away all my men's clothes as he stands by for moral support.

"I still have therapy appointments to go through but I'm going to be okay..." I drift off as I tread on my old soccer uniform. 

I had to quit the team at the beginning of the season once NTB took off and Youtube became more of a fulltime career with a hefty lifestyle than a class assignment. 

The uniform still brought back a wave of harmful memories. The things I did to look more feminine while also trying to rule as the hottest jock at school. 

A weight is rested on my shoulder as Milo now stands behind me as if he sensed the dysphoria in the air. His hands snake around my waist and he has to bend down a bit to actually nuzzle himself on my shoulder.

"I remember number 48. That guy was hot," He sighs next to my ear and my gaze shifts down to the ground.

"But I never liked him all that much. He was a real asshat and hit me with his car," Milo adds and I gently smack his broad shoulder.

"I did not hit you! Matty did!" I defend myself to Milo's chuckle.

"Alright! Alright!" He laughs out loud and peppers me in little seductive kisses to settle me down, completely taking my mind off the task at hand and distracting me.

"I wonder what happened to that guy," Milo says and stops laughing as he squeezes me a little bit tighter. 

"Is he still you or was he just a shell for someone else? I think it's the latter and let me tell you, I love Kai a lot better. She's happy, relaxed, and so...carefree." He says and I giggle as he nuzzles his nose against my cheek.

"What about you?" I ask and he closes his hazel eyes to think for a moment. 

"She died. She was hit by a car, then scraped up by a forklift, and tossed off a cliff." He says without any feelings or emotions towards his words.

"I don't know if I'd do that to Eli," I gasped as he kissed the nape of my neck.

"Every transition is different, beautiful. You have a support network of family and friends, I didn't," He mentions and I feel my fingers automatically trace my neckline, finding the little pendant and holding it.

"Well, I also have an amazing boyfriend to give me all the love and snuggles I need." I giggle nervously, never actually saying the word boyfriend out loud before. 

"Oh really? A boyfriend huh? Guess I shouldn't be here than in case he catches me," Milo adds and I smack his shoulder again.

"Stop it! I was being serious!" I manage to say through our laughter but his face shifts to a serious expression as he turns me around so he could see my face. 

"Is that what you want? Me to be your boyfriend?" He asks and I was so lost in his beautiful hazel eyes that I nodded my head, unable to speak for a few moments. 

"I don't want anyone else," I add and he still had his hands wrapped around my face, but they slowly move up my body, cupping my face.

"Me neither," He confirms and tilts his head while I wait for the touch of his lips in nervous anticipation.