|| C H A P T E R 16 ||

"Alright. It should fit now." Dustin said as he turned to look at Steve who was carrying the dead demogorgon. "Is this really necessary?" shaking my head.

Dustin nodded his head, gesturing Steve to place it inside the refrigirator "Yes, it is. This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mamma, okay? It's not a dog." Steve lets out a groan "Alright. Alright. Alright. But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, alright?" Steve was having trouble holding up the body. Pushing myself off the counter as I helped Steve with the door, closing it. "Christ. Thanks Aunt Marcella." Dustin smiled widely as I shook my head at him. 

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas groaned, rubbing his face. "You weren't in there okay, Lucas? The lab is swarming wiht hundreds of those dogs." Dustin rolled his eyes as he corrected Mike "Demo-dogs!"

"The chief will take care of her." rolling my eyes, scoffing "Like she needs protection." Steve nodded "More like the other way around." chukling as I patted Steve on the shoulder before heading to the couch to sit down. 

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. Alright?" Mike rolled his eyes at Steve. Typical Steve. "Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. We're on the bench." Steve blinked as he stammered "So my point is, right, yeah, we're on the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do."

"That's not entirely true." everyone looked at me, waiting for me to furhter explain. "I mean, these Demo-dogs, they have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away." Mike made an 'oh' face. nodding his head in agreement "If we get their attention." then Dustin spoke "Maybe we can draw them away from the lab."

"Clear a path to the gate." Max and Lucas finished. Steve shaked his head vigorously "And then we all die." chuckling "That's on point of view." Dustin shrugged.

"No, that's not a point of view, man. That's a fact." suddenly Mike jumped out of his seat and went to the kitchen pointing out a part of the tunnel as everyone else followed. "I got it! This is where the chief dug a hole. This is our way into the tunnel. So here, right here. This is like a hub. So you got all the tunnels feeding in here." 

"Maybe if we set it on fire." Mike suggested as Steve shook his head "Oh, yeah? That's a no." pulling Steve away from the kids.

"Kid, I know you're scared and that i know you promised Nancy to protect the kids with me but I need you to trust me. I'm the adult here and I will get all the blame but right now we need to help distract those demo-dogs. Okay?" Steve sighed. nodding his head "Alright."

As we were about to go, there was a loud engine revving. playing a very loud rock music. Max went to the window to see her step-brother park at the drive way. "It's my brother. He can't know i'm here. He'll kill me. He'll kills us." she was panicking as she looked at me kinda asking or pleading for help. 

"You kids stay here. Steve make sure they don't go near the window or I swear to my mother that your ass is grass." going out, crossing my arms as I went close to Billy. "Am I dreaming, or is that you Marcella?" chuckling. shaking my head. "Yeah, it's me. Don't cream your pants, lover boy."

Billy slammed his car door shut as he threw the cigarette on the ground and stepping on it. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing, just taking care of the kids. Their mother ain't home, besides it's game night for them." he nodded.

"Well, i'm looking for my sister. A little birdie told me she was here."

"Huh, Max?" he nodded.

"Well, I'm not gonna lie to you. She's here." Billy's jaw clenched. "And I know that your father sent you here to get her back home, safely. Am I right?" his posture became stiffed as he nodded.

"So?"

"So? I know that he abusses you, Billy. Before you react, No. Max didn't tell me but I do know how a person acts and that reflects on how you're treated at home." he was quiet; he just stared at me. Tears were starting to form in his eyes. Smiling softly as i pulled him in for a hug.

"It's okay, kid. I know how much you want to leave this hell hole and one day you will." wiping away his tears.

"How about you go to your date and I'll go call your father. I'll tell him that Max is safe with me and that I'll bring her home, safe and sound. How's that sound?" he smiled lightly as he nodded his head.

"You know, you're a very cool Aunt. Wish I had an Aunt who's as cool as you."

"What can I say? I'm everyone's favourite Aunt." we both laughed.

"Thank you, Marcella." 

"It's no problem, kid. If you need help with anything, I'm here. If he beats you again, don't hesitate to call me. Besides I am cop." winking at him as he only shook his head. "Well you better go now, you don't want to keep your date waiting." 

"I'll see you around." he gave me a smile before driving away.

Walking back to the house. Seeing them all look at me with wide eyes and mouth fell open. "What?"

"Holy shit! How?" Max excalimed "I'm a cool aunt." winking at her as she laughed.

"Well at least he's gone now." nodding my head.

"Well I have to call your step father. I need to tell him that you're with me and that I'll bring you home safe." Max nodded as the boys including Steve were still shock with the encounter I just had with Hargrove.

"Also, Max." 

"Hmm?" 

"If your father ever beats the shit out of your step-brother again, please do tell me. This is not right, he's the reason for him to act so mean to you. You do know that right?" she nodded as she frowned.

"I promise." smiling. "Harrington, give me your keys." Steve tossed his keys as I swiftly caught it with one hand. Walking to the drivers seat.

"Well, come one kids. We don't have all day."