Cut

Emil and Matthew sat in the hospital parking lot, both smoking a cigarette. Matthew sighed "Mr.Vargas is going to give Alfred's clients to us while Alfred is recovering". Emil felt fear go through him, Alfred's clients were much more violent than his own "god damnit we'll end up just like Alfred then". Matthew flinched at Emil's harsh tone, it was unusual for Emil to become so aggravated so quickly. Emil noticed Matthew become on edge after him yelling "sorry, I just keep thinking about shit Mr.Vargas said". Matthew look over at Emil "you saw Berwald leave my room didn't you?". Emil nodded and teared up "I know we talked about it a few weeks ago but I just pushed it out of my mind thinking it couldn't be. I always wanted to believe that we had one normal person in our family". Matthew put a hand over Emil's "There's no normal person in the entire world Emil. We all have our problems. It doesn't mean we are broken, just cracked". Emil looked away "Matthew we barley have enough money for rent and food, and Berwald just goes and wastes it away. At least when Tino cheats he doesn't pay for it". Matthew felt a pang of guilt in his gut as he was the one getting all of Berwald's money. Matthew looked away "I'm sorry". Emil quickly shook his head "it's not your fault. I'm just cursed to be in this life. I know you said you lost hope of leaving the brothel Matthew, and I think I am too...". Matthew closed his eyes, he was so emotionally exhausted that in his mind he wanted to convince Emil he could escape but he couldn't bring himself to do it. For just a few minutes the two sat in silence and stared up at the sky, until Mr.Vargas came out. "Alfred's fine. They are going to keep him over night. Now both of you in the car. I'm not staying any later". Both of the boys quickly scampered to the car and got in. Emil shivered as the car felt colder than the fall air outside. Matthew shivered as well and rubbed his arms for some warmth. He could never afford a nice winter jacket, so he always hated when it got closer to winter and fall. His apartment didn't have heating either, it resulted in both him being cold often and sick. Matthew and Alfred had tried to buy as many cheap blankets as possible but it still wasn't as good as having heat. The cold air in the car soon did turn warm as unlike Alfred's car or Emil's family's car, it had a proper working heater. Emil leaned over to Matthew "I think I'm gonna save up for a proper heater for my family's car" Matthew nodded "good luck with that. To get one and have installed is so expensive. I would just go for a nice jacket if I was you". Mr.Vargas didn't listen to the boys conversation as he drove. He found their complaints of money annoying, he thought he gave them enough for such a job. He snapped back to their conversation when Emil started coughing, and Matthew quickly made sure he was physically fine. Emil shook and swatted Matthews hands away "I'm fine I just get sick a lot, it's probably just one of those times". Mr. Vargas finally piped in "you're still coming in for all your shifts. I can't have both you and Alfred out". Emil nodded "yes sir". Matthew grew worried "Emil if you get sick a lot maybe you should put on a few pounds. With how skinny you are and how little doctor check ups you probably get, your sickness could get worse". Mr.Vargas glared at Matthew through the mirror "he will not. I am not going to have him become a fatass". Matthew became scarred from the glare but found some courage to speak up "he weighs as much as a thirteen year old. I don't think our clients will care" he pleaded. Mr.Vargas shook his head "don't talk back to me, and you don't know what our clients want. It's all about control Matthew, with how skinny Emil and you are, you both can never fight back. That's what our clients want. You should know this by now". Emil looked down "we will never fight back sir. This is our job". Mr.Vargas stopped the car abruptly in front of a run down apartment complex "Matthew get out. We are here". Matthew looked between Emil and the apartment as he slowly got out "bye Emil, I'll see you later". Emil nodded "out bye...". After the car door shut, Mr.Vargas started driving once again "Emil I mean what I said. You will not gain or loose anymore weight". Emil ignored him as he pulled his legs up and hugged them, he didn't want to gain anymore weight so he was going to not heed what Matthew said, but he wanted to get better for Leon. Leon would like Emil's body better if he actually had something to grab, rather than just skin and bones. His heart twisted thinking about himself compared to others that Leon could have. He knew his personality wasn't the best, or that he didn't had a pretty face, and he didn't have anything to offer physically so he knew Leon would leave him soon for someone better. His body lurched forward as the car stopped harshly once more and threw his body into the seat in front of him. "God damnit" he said as he pushed himself up and opened the car door. "Thank you Mr.Vargas" he said stepping out. Mr.Vargas only looked back and drove off once the car door closed. Emil limped back inside and jumped when he saw Berwald standing in the threshold. He shut the door behind and stared at the stoic man "why were you with that man Emil. You shouldn't be with those kinds of people". Emil halted himself in disbelief, was this man really trying to lecture him? "You're one to talk! I know what you waist our money on". Berwald straightened his back "we need to talk".