Chapter 23: Family ties

Woman: I'm Natasha.

My eyes pop out of the sockets. I look at Mahir and he's equally shocked. Could it be our Natasha?

Ritasha: Your surname?

Natasha: Sharma. Why? Why are you guys so shocked?

Ritasha: I think-

Natasha: What's your name?

Ritasha: I'm Ritasha...Sharma.

Natasha is now shocked. She looks at me from top to bottom. Her eyes starts filling with tears again.

Natasha: Oh my God...Rita?

Ritasha: Nats...

I could feel tears swell my eyes too. She jumped off the bed and took me into her arms with a long embrace.

Mahir: I'll wait outside.

"Rita...you're gone so big!! How did I fail to recognize you, the big fighter!"

"I'm sorry that I didn't recognize you either. I last saw you when I was 14. You've matured so well, I can't believe it!!"

"You as well. How's everyone at home? Mom and dad? Are they also staying here?"

"They're at home. But you know home isn't the same without you...."

"I missed you so much, Rita....You have no idea how much I miss all of you everyday. I'm so sorry for leaving you alone like that..."

"Don't apologize for chasing your dreams, Nats.We need you. Please come back home."

"I can't. Dad hates me."

"He's lying! You're still his favourite daughter. I know he regrets it. You have to leave the past in the past. Dad will automatically forget it when he see you."

"How can you be so sure, Rita?"

"You complete our family, Di. But why did you marry that man? Had I known that he's my brother-in-law I would've fucking broke every single bone in his body!!"

"Oh my...Rita is still the strongest fighter!! Just like back in the day..."

"I'm serious. He can't hurt my sister and get away with it!! You have to give your statement to the police about everything he did to you. I'll be there with you. Don't fear that bastard. And Mahir is with us too."

"Now I have you here, I feel like I have strength again. I won't let him get away. Let's go now!"

Mahir and I talk for a bit and I tell him that I'll meet him at home. I take Natasha to the police station. She tells Abhishek everything about what my asshole brother-in-law did. I can't believe she went through so much with him. Hearing all the bad ways he treated her made me cry so hard. Natasha didn't deserve not one bit of hatred she was getting from every side.

After we were done at the police station I took her to Starbucks. We had so much to catch up on. She began by telling me that she became successful as an airhostess. She traveled the world before meeting Shaurya Kumar, an often rich traveller with the company she worked for. They had a complicated relationship, after he blackmailed her into it because she was pregnant. They began staying in the city earlier this year.

"And Rita guess what? I regret every single thing about my marriage except for one thing....my son, Nikhil."

"I can't  believe I'm an instant aunt! Oh my God, Nats....I want to see my nephew. Please...!!"

"He's at his friend's house now, since it's holiday. Thankfully, he doesn't know what his father used to do. I didn't want to expose him to it. Plus I also lost my airhostess contract because I couldn't fly due to my pregnancy, I was financially dependent on Shaurya."