Chapter 26: After the festivities

Needless to say that the festive season has been crazy and full of fun. It had to be because I spent it with the most awesome friends and family. Things were going perfectly well. The new year seemed to bring new opportunities.

Mom and dad were working on their relationship. So was Natasha and dad. Nikhil was bonding well with our family. Natasha and Karan sparked their old chemistry and decided to give it a chance.

Stella was preparing herself for her hotel management internship that she gained...a long time ago basically. Things were even going good for Priyank and her and they decided to move in together.

Divyanka and Abhi became part of the family, Mahir has adopted well to us too. Things are pretty smooth...oh and Vish slept with Yuvi at our New Year's Eve party. I know right...I couldn't stop laughing either. If only Divyanka and Mahir are able to stop their marriage it would be perfect. And speaking of perfect...My results came in and it turns out I'm finally degreed.

We were still home for a few days and Mahir was packing up when I approached him to share the good news. I jumped on him, hugging him tightly from behind. "Mahir, I'm officially degreed!!! I'm so excited!!!"

"Wow!! Congratulations, babe!!" He pulled me to the front giving me a kiss.

"Thank you so much for everything!!"

"Rita...it was all your hard work. I'm so proud of you. When's your graduation??"

"On the 13th!! It's like a week from now!! I haven't even got an outfit!! I need to go shopping with Stella!! It's gonna be so lit-" I stop when I notice Mahir brooding in his own thoughts. "Mahir, what's wrong?" This was unusual of him.

"Ritasha...the 13th is the day scheduled for Divyanka and I to marry in court."

My heart dropped to the floor. I was so confident and positive that things would turn out good this new year. "But Mahir....didn't you guys sort it out??"

"We tried. Multiple times. The lawyers couldn't find a loophole either. You know if I don't marry Divyanka the money will go to charity."

"So...money is more important than me now?" I asked as my eyes started blurring with tears.

"It's not like that Ritasha!! If I don't marry Divyanka I won't inherit my ancestral home...it's the last memory of them." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"You didn't tell me about that."

"I didn't even know until I saw it in the contract."

"God...Mahir, what are we going to do now?? You can't!!"

I expected him to comfort me and say that everything will be fine but he did nothing of that sort. For the first time Mahir looked so helpless.

"Rita, if this was only for money, I wouldn't care. But it's more than that....you have no idea."

"I guess so, Mahir." I stepped away from him, tears streaming down my face. Mahir wanted to comfort me but I stopped him. "So...this is the end of us?"

"Rita..."

"It's true. In that case, I'm not going back with you Mahir. Please just leave."

"How can I go without you?"

"I'll only come to RoseWood for my graduation."

With that being said I exited the room dashing downstairs before anyone found me. I wanted to be alone and cry my heart out so I feel better. But will I really feel better??

I climbed up the tree house settling there for a while letting all the salt waters flow. But I was interrupted.

"Rita??" Natasha came up and saw me. I wiped my face answering her normally.