Things Aren't Always As They Seem

ASPEN'S POV

A part of me felt stupid for trusting her, for even letting her get in the damn car, but yet here I was sitting next to Mackenzie.

I didn't know what to think the entire time I was driving us to the coffee shop, I hadn't seen her for years.

The last I had heard about her was that she escaped from her camp and was out to get me and the twins.

And I know you're probably wondering 'then why the hell are you even with her?'

Well, I always seem to give people the benefit of the doubt, I like to know both sides of the story before I make a choice.

I pulled up in front of the coffee shop, parking my car as I grabbed my wallet from my backpack.

I motioned for Mack to follow me as I got out of the car, entering the shop as we ordered ourselves some coffee and a muffin to snack on.

Once we got our drinks and snacks we headed to a table in the back corner, the same table that I had once sat at with Ethan and Grayson a few weeks prior.

"I really appreciate you giving me a chance to explain Aspen." Mackenzie broke the silence, her expression soft on her face as I nodded slowly.

"You know how I am.. I like to know the whole story." I mumbled, taking a sip of my coffee as she chewed on her bottom lip nervously.

"I guess I'll just start from the beginning then." She sighed, leaning back against her chair as I motioned for her to continue.

"As you know I was sent away to a camp to get some help," Mackenzie started off, rolling her eyes slightly as she spoke, "The camp was nice, the people there were well.. crazy.. however, they did help me a lot, they gave me this medication that helped me control my anger issues." She explained as I listened intently, her and I both knew it was more than just "anger issues."

"Anyways, everything was going great, I had been there for a few years and I was seeing a therapist and they had told me I was almost to the point where I could be released." Mackenzie smiled faintly, twirling her straw between her fingers.

"You said that as if you're not supposed to be here." I stated bluntly, my brows furrowing as she bit her lip.

"I can explain alright?" She sighed, leaning forward a bit so her elbows were resting on the table.

"My therapist wasn't convinced I could be released any earlier because she wasn't positive that I was one hundred percent stable." Mackenzie laughed a bit at that, making me lean further back into my chair.

"Why didn't she think you were stable? I thought the medication was working?" I questioned, my heart beginning to beat quicker.

"I'm glad you asked Aspen, because this is going to sound insanely ridiculous. My therapist told me that I have some sort of split personality disorder, that when I go off my meds that I become a completely different person." Mackenzie explained, letting out a laugh.

"She said that the other version of me goes by the name Carly." Mackenzie further explained, shaking her head. "Apparently she knows Carly very well." She shrugged her shoulders, taking a sip of her coffee.

I could feel my eyes growing wide, everything was fitting together like a puzzle.

Mackenzie was C and she didn't even know it.

"You know Mack.. Your therapist might not be that insane after all.." I hesitantly spoke up, watching her brows furrow immediately.

"What? Why? Do you know something I don't?" She questioned, as I nodded slowly.

"For the past week or so Grayson, Ethan, and I have been recieving text messages by someone who went by C." I explained carefully, noticing her posture stiffen slightly.

"I think the other version of you, Carly, has been texting us whenever she took over." I squeaked out, my nerves growing as Mackenzie didn't say anything but stare at the table.

"What have I said to you guys? Have I tried hurting anyone?" She bombarded me with questions, her eyes becoming panicked, "I can't relapse, I can't be sent back there." Mackenzie cried out, grasping my hands in hers.

"Hey, hey, you haven't hurt anyone, at least not physically, but we can figure this out alright?" I reassured her, hoping she'd calm down.

I had no idea what could trigger Carly to come out, and honestly I didn't want her to.

"Promise?" She whispered, still holding my hands as I nodded.

"I promise, we're going to fix this. But, we need the twins help." I sighed, removing my hands as I rubbed my temples.

"Okay? Then lets go get them." She stood up but I was quick to motion her back into her seat.

"It's not going to be that simple Mack, Grayson reverted back to high school Grayson, he hates me once again and has a new girl in his life named Charlotte." I groaned, rolling my eyes as Mackenzie snorted.

"Well I guess it's a good thing I'm back then." She grinned, cracking her knuckles as I shook my head in amusement.

"I'm going to knock some sense into him."

Hello lovelies!!!❤️

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated, I got writers block and nothing I wrote made me happy. However, I'm now back into the groove and I personally love this part a lot because it explains so much about Mackenzie.

Alright that is all, love you guys xx