Slipping Away

ASPEN'S POV

This is unbelievable, I thought to myself.

I felt foolish for believing Mackenzie, you'd think after everything she put me through all those years ago I'd have learned, but nope, here I am, holding onto a damn tree branch for dear life above thousands of sharp rocks that lead down to my ultimate death.

It's sad how I knew that all too well.

The last time I was here I tried to end it all, I was in such a dark place that I thought this was the only way out, to make the pain stop, and for a second, it did.

Flashback

"Aspen you know Grayson didn't mean it, you mean so much to him." Ethan rushed his words out, making me roll my eyes.

"Then where is he huh?" I cried out, slamming the car door before walking on the cool grass beneath my feet.

"Aspen don't do this please." Ethan begged, only making me cry harder as I sat on the edge of the cliff, the water crashing against the rocks on the bottom.

I heard him rushing to someone in the background, guessing it was Grayson.

I heard what sounded like a car being started, making my eyes widen as I realized they were coming for me.

"Aspen just stay put okay, don't move." Ethan tried to calm me, as I sighed, standing up and looking down at the water below.

"This is what everyone needs." I replied, looking around and smiling sadly at the good memories I had.

I hung up the phone, dropping it on the ground beside me, as I was about to step off the edge, I heard a car screech into the grass.

"Aspen no!" I heard someone yell.

I turned around to see Grayson and Ethan running towards me.

I couldn't let them save me, not again, not after everything I've been through.

I shook my head, tears falling down my face as I took a step backwards, falling off the edge, the only sounds I heard were from the two boys above screaming my name.

Present Day

In that moment I was finally at peace, nothing else around me mattered anymore.

But as always, things don't work out the way they're supposed to, and if I'm being honest, I'm glad that I woke up that day.

I remember waking up to multiple beeping sounds, a bright light instantly hitting my face causing me to flinch and cover my eyes.

It was then that I realized where I was.

I was in the hospital.

The smell of an overly clean chemical room filled my nose, an aroma that is so strong it can give you a headache if you focus on it too long.

I quickly shook my head, only to place my hand on the left side of my head, a pain soaring through.

However, that pain was nothing compared to when the twins parents walked into the room.

I had never seen them look so worried yet angry in their entire lives.

That was also the day that my life changed completely.

The twins parents decided it was best that I stayed away from Grayson and Ethan entirely. I was a danger to them, and honestly, I agreed.

If it wasn't for me none of this would have ever happened.

But it did, and I was the one to blame for that.

Their son was in the hospital because of me.

But on the other hand, I too was in the hospital because of Grayson and Ethan.

Funny how things work huh?

That still didn't stop me from going along with their plan however, deep down I knew it was for the best, for me to pretend that I was dead, that way Grayson could move on and so could I.

And for a while it worked, three years had gone by and everything was great, my life was finally becoming normal, until I bumped into him one day on campus.

Then it was as if we all went back in time, reliving every moment, the good, the bad.

I was so happy yet nervous seeing him that day, I knew he had so many questions and wanted answers, which I did end up giving him.

I thought after that things would go back to how our lives were now in college, but boy was I wrong.

Who knew college had more drama than highschool?

If someone were to tell me my ex best friend would randomly show up and have a split personality disorder that wanted to kill me and would eventually shove me off a cliff I would laugh and say they were crazy.

And yet, here I am, on the side of a cliff, holding onto a branch, trying not to die.

I've lost count how many times I've screamed for help by now.

Nobody was coming.

Nobody was ever going to find me.

I really was going to die this time.

I felt tears start to trickle down my cheeks, my entire life flashing before my eyes.

I won't ever be able to graduate college, I won't be able to see my parents or Kian again, I won't be able to see the twins again, I won't be able to move to Europe and become a famous blogger.

Everything will be gone.

I could feel my arms becoming weaker, causing me to panic even more.

"No, no, no, no, come on arms, please, I don't want to die." I cried out, trying my best to keep the tightest grasp on the branch that I could, but my arms were burning from holding on for so long.

My life was slowly slipping away, and I couldn't do anything about it.

As more minutes passed on, I was barely hanging onto the branch, in any moment I could fall to my death.

I continuously took deep breaths trying to calm myself down, but the second I heard the sickening snap of the branch I felt my heart plummet down into my stomach.

A bloodcurdling scream escaped my mouth as I began to fall, my eyes squeezed shut waiting for the impact of the rocks.. but it never happened.

I hesitantly opened my eyes, only to see a pair of familar brown ones staring back at me, his hand holding mine tightly.

"Ethan." I breathed out, "You found me." I whimpered, tears slipping down my cheeks as he began to lift me up to him.

"I told you I wasn't going to lose you again."

Sup y'all, ya girl finally updated!!🤘🏻

It's only been like... two months?????😬

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this part, lemme know what you think of the ending👀

Also where tf did Carly go like hello???

Anyways, I love you guys sm!! Also thank you for 9k reads, y'all are the best!❤️