Chapter Five

When they reached Eragon's quarters, Murtagh walked right in and closed the door in Addiane's face. 

She glared at the spot his head had been, then leaned against the wall and forced herself to be as still as possible, trying to hear anything that she could inside.

"-nearly killed me! It was like she was possessed, Eragon, did you know about this?"

"No! How- I'm sorry, Murtagh, but there is no way-"

"I saw it, Eragon. It was terrifying."

Addiane raised her eyebrows in surprise. Murtagh had fought for and against the Evil King himself, and the rumors of what he'd done while working for Galbatorix were wild and probably all true. 

And here he was, one of the most hardened, forcibly-twisted individuals in the land, saying that she had scared him.

"I want to know what you're going to do about it." Murtagh finally said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well she can't stay here, can she? If she can't control that...." Murtagh's voice dropped, and Addiane strained to hear for a minute. She was unsuccessful until Eragon began to talk again.

"She's staying here."

"She could be a danger to the others-"

"This isn't up for discussion, Murtagh!" Eragon barked. It seemed he had startled his half-brother into silence, because he continued after a moment. "She is a half-trained Rider with a dragon that flies nearly as well as Saphira. She carries a sword with more energy stored in it than mine. She is a competent fighter and spellcaster, but she is not a master and she needs to be watched."

"Oh, she needs to be watched alright." Murtagh said darkly.

Addiane chewed her lip. She definitely knew that something had happened during their match, something that had given her reflexes a huge boost.

Really, Murtagh was right. If she couldn't control this, she wouldn't be able to keep the others safe.

The door opened and Addiane looked up.

Eragon beckoned for her to come inside. His hair was sticking up every which way, and he looked quite similar to a porcupine. Addiane tried not to smile as she made the connection in her mind.

Murtagh was leaning against Eragon's desk when Addiane walked into the room. He'd schooled his features into a calm expression, but Addiane could see rage twitching under his skin every time he shifted, from the clench of his jaw to the tightness of his arms as he crossed them over his chest.

"Addiane, do you know what happened during your match against Murtagh today?"

"No, sir." Addiane said quietly.

Eragon shook his head. "We've talked about this, Addiane."

"It's very hard to see you as my equal when I know that this is a disciplinary meeting." She looked down at her hands after glancing pointedly at Murtagh.

The senior Dragon Rider grunted. "This is not disciplinary, Addiane. I just need to know if you have any knowledge about what happened today. 

"I don't."

Eragon nodded. "Then I suppose all we can do is keep an eye on you and watch to see if it happens again." He shot Murtagh a look.

"Bad time?" A new voice joined the conversation.

All three Riders jumped. Murtagh and Addiane both got their swords fully clear of their scabbards before Eragon seemed to realize what was going on and waved them down.