Chapter Twenty-One

"Thorn has made a list that details which of the team he wants you to fight in what order." Murtagh told Addiane when she had returned to the clearing with her sword. "He won't tell us who's going when ahead of time, insists that it's all 'up here.'" He made a head-tapping motion.

Addiane snorted. "I would believe it, actually. The man seems quite intelligent, if a bit... hermit-esque."

"Don't let him hear you say that." Hal chuckled. He had his sword-belt on now, whereas before he'd only been carrying a utilitarian looking knife. "He'll bash you over the head faster than you can say his name."

"Which one?" Addiane smirked a little. "Thorn Hooky-Hand or whatever his real name is?"

"To be honest, we think Hooky-Hand might be his real name."

Murtagh shook his head. "There's no possible way. Names are part of your family, not random jokes about your misfortunes."

"Isn't Eragon's surname Shadeslayer?" Hal raised an eyebrow.

"Technically, yes. But his real surname is Bromsson." Murtagh shook his head. "He was given the name Shadeslayer when he killed the Shade Durza, because it is so rare for a being to kill one."

"I don't have one." Addiane put in helpfully. "Because no one knows who my mother is."

Hal nodded slowly, taking this in.

"Ready to face the onslaught, Red?" Thorn called from the loose circle that had formed.

Addiane tipped her head sideways, raising her eyebrows at him. "That sounds like a challenge, old man."

Lydia snickered audibly.

Thorn shook his head. "Well get on over here then, lets see what you can do. Stig."

The blond first mate stepped forward. He was carrying a large wooden axe.

"No no no." Addiane shook her head. "That will never work. I'll split it in a heartbeat."

"No you won't-"

"Rider weapons are made of a magically forged metal that makes them basically indestructible." Eragon put in. "Just use your regular battle-axe."

"What if I hurt her?"

Addiane left Eragon to explain, drawing her sword and whispering the dulling spell with a snap of her fingers. The spark flared to life and she began to coat Naegling.

"That's handy."

"Results in a lot of bruises." Murtagh crossed his arms. "And Addiane can be particularly wicked with a blade."

"If you're trying to intimidate me it's not going to work." Stig was watching Addiane as Eragon fixed his axe blade. She raised her eyebrows at him and crossed her arms, refusing to give him anything to go off of.

Eragon handed back the axe. Stig hefted it experimentally. "It doesn't change the weight at all?"

"It's not designed to. Unless you specifically work the spell that way, magic has no physical weight."

"Interesting." He nodded and took a step forward, so he was in the middle of the group. "Are there formal rules here? For combat?"

Addiane grinned. "Try to win, don't die."

Stig chuckled. "I think I can adhere to those rules pretty well."

"Thorn and I will both be watching this fight, so we cannot call it one way or the other. You fight until one person is unarmed or forced to yield." Eragon stood between the two of them. "Try to at least fight fairly honestly."