Chapter Twenty-Three

"I don't know what to do about it." Eragon finally admitted.

They'd gathered in the kitchen. Will was no worse for the wear, other than being a little shaken and confused.

"Well it's not possible, right? Dragons only pick one Rider." Roran frowned.

The three Riders all looked at Will, who just placed his hand palm-up on the table. 

"Well if he's a Rider, we'll have to train him." Eragon sighed, shaking his head.

"Hang on, do I get a say in that?"

"Not really, you have to be trained. Rider magic is very fickle and if you don't know how to use it you could hurt a lot of people." Murtagh looked at Will. "You have to be trained for the safety of those around you."

Will and the other two Rangers exchanged glances.

"There's not a way you can... undo it?"

Eragon paused. "I'm... not sure. There might be, but it would be very complicated... I'll have to talk to some people."

Addiane and Murtagh exchanged glances. They knew what that meant.

"Until then... Addiane. Take him out by Nyriem and see if you can get him acquainted. Properly."

She stopped herself from rolling her eyes. "Yes sir."

Will and Addiane went outside, looking for Nyriem. He wasn't with the others, and he wasn't at the traveling market either. Starting to get frustrated, Addiane reached out with her mind.

"He's that way." Will said suddenly, pointing to their left. Addiane raised her eyebrows and extended her consciousness in the direction he pointed.

"Good job. Did you sense him?"

"He... he spoke to me." Will's face was scrunched up in confusion. "Is that normal?"

"Yes. That's the bond between a Rider and their dragon."

When they found Nyriem, he was looking thoroughly un-amused. A large, fluffy animal was pouncing back and forth in front of him, making a large 'kloof' sound.

"That's Hal's dog!" Will exclaimed, running forward. "Kloof! C'mere, girl!"

The furry beast whipped around and bowed forward, her huge fluffy tail sweeping back and forth.

Addiane snorted. "That's not a dog, that's a bear."

Kloof bounced forward and leapt up to put her massive paws on Will's shoulders, nearly knocking him to the ground. 

Nyriem let out a ferocious growl, surprising Will and Addiane. Kloof dropped to the ground and turned back around to stare the big dragon down.

"Well, he's certainly bonded to you properly." She finally smiled. "He's very protective of his Rider... Riders."

Will watched Nyriem as he shifted and stretched forward, laying his head on the ground in front of them.

"It's really strange hearing him in my head," He said after a moment. 

Addiane snorted. "At least you can hear words right away. When I bonded with him he had only just hatched and he couldn't speak yet. I usually just got images or impressions of feelings, and that was it."

"Sounds like talking to Tug."

"Who's Tug?" She asked curiously. 

"Oh, uh, he's my horse." He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling a little sheepishly. "None of us would ever admit it to each other, I think, but all Rangers have a very special bond with our horses and it feels like they talk to us."