Chapter Twelve

Addiane told Nyriem what she wanted him to do, then left him to his own devices for the rest of the day. The next morning, she went over to the traveling market and had breakfast with the boys.

Nyriem was very excited to see Addiane's brothers. He nosed Kath curiously and huffed out a sharp breath before pushing his snout against the man's side lightly. The whole time they were eating, he kept himself as close to Kath as possible.

"He's like a big puppy with you. It's amazing."

"I am not a puppy, thank you."

"You're acting like one." Addiane teased, taking a bite of the sandwich that Grefrey had made for her. Her dragon glared at her, then nuzzled against Kath's hand again as he scratched the small scales under Nyriem's chin.

"Cut him some slack, Dia, we haven't seen each other in months." Kath grinned.

Addiane shook her head, smiling. "He gets away with everything around you, it makes it worlds harder to deal with him when you aren't around."

"I'm sure you deal with it well."

"Well I have to, I'm his Rider." She chuckled and finished her sandwich, then hauled herself to her feet. Kath stood as well. 

"I should go see what the Shadeslayer and Murtagh are thinking of. We might have a way to get more information about one of the groups that's been attacking."

"Stay safe." Her older brother frowned and reached over, pulling Addiane into a one handed hug and kissing her forehead. "We do have to sit and talk for more time at some point."

Addiane nodded. "Of course. I'll be back, don't worry."

She walked back through the town to Roran's house. Murtagh and Eragon were sitting in the kitchen, poring over some hand drawn maps. The remnants of their breakfast were piled on the edge of the table.

"Ah, there she is. How are your brothers?" The Shadeslayer asked.

"They're doing well, considering the circumstances. How are you feeling?"

"Tired, but it's much better now than before. I'll be fine, come sit with us and talk this through."

Addiane walked over and peered at the maps. "Are you trying to figure out where their camp is?"

Eragon nodded. "I know these mountains like the back of my own hand. If anyone would be able to pinpoint the location, I think I could, because I know what everything up there looks like."

"Okay, talk me through what you're thinking."

"So there's a large group of them," Murtagh started off. "At least fifteen people, probably more. We've got to assume they aren't bringing their full force into these skirmishes. They're not going to want to just camp everywhere, because it would create a problem for any sentries if there are trees in the middle of their campsite."

"Clearing then. Which immediately lowers our options." Eragon pointed at the map. "Considering where they're watching us from and where Roran has-"

"Where is Roran, by the way?" Addiane asked.

"At the traveling market, I believe. Why?"

"I don't think he should go outside much, if this group has no concept of magic they might become suspicious of the fact that the man they know broke his leg is walking around town looking no worse for the wear."

Eragon nodded slowly. "I'll mention that to him. Any other things we should think about?"

"Not that I can think of at the moment... continue."