09. The Queen

Claire's POV

The little spark of hope didn't fade. There was still this quantum of something that let me know that this wasn't Ana.

The nymphs stared at me when Ana dragged me with her.

"What did you do to her?" I cried when I saw the first creature. "What was it that she deserves that?"

"This is what must happen. This is what would have happened sooner or later. Either she's strong enough to get her old self back or she'll stay this way."

"Why? What did she ever do?"

"What has to come will come."

This was the last thing I heard from the nymphs. Dumb creatures who just looked for their own advantage. Even though they said that this would have come this way or the other way round. It's not fair...

"Ana?" I asked hours later. "Can we please rest? I'm so done."

No answer. Actually I didn't expect one but at least I thought she'd care enough to give me some minutes.

Wide flat lands layed on our way, far away from the village where Greta and her son lived. Far away from where a few people really believed in me.

High on the mountain top I saw a great castle. Hugh walls of granite and stone. Red roofs and flags. This was her destination, this was where I should spend the next time. If just a few days or seasons.

Two shadows stand at the feet of the hill. One waved the other was just standing by.
Ana doubled her speed. It was clear that these people belonged to her.

Dark and light skin signed that Lennart and Daphne already waited for us, more specific for Ana.

Love was cruel.

Not enough that Ana was evil but Daphne and Lennart would live happily ever after.

Jealousy crept in my heart. Even though I knew that this wasn't right I let it be and it erode his way like acid.

"Ana." She seemed not really happy to see her though. "The message that you're finally yourself passed around quickly... My queen." And she bend down on her knees bowing her head.
Lennart did the same.

With what did Ana threatened the both that even Lennart submitted? More importantly when did she do that? I was by her side the whole time. Just once ... for a minute or two she left me bound and went her own way. I didn't see what she did. That was when she spread the news.

Ana was a queen... At least for Daphne and Lennart. After all I heard rulers needed an empire. Where was hers?

"Everything is ready for you" Lennart went on bitterly.

"I thought better of you, Lennart. I thought you would welcome me warm and respect me with more heart. Is that the Thank you you receive when you save a life?"
Ana saved Lennart's life?!

"No, I'm sorry. Forgive me, queen."

It was disgusting when I saw a enormous proud person like Lennart was bowing in front of a women who had been equal to him. You could see he thought the same.

Together we walked the stairs to the the mountain top. No one took notice on me. Ignored but still with my head high up different like the others I walked in front of them straight up. There was no chance they'd take my pride and dignity. Especially not through Ana.

Reaching our destination Ana hand my chains to Lennart and paced her way through the gates. Guards guided her and bowed their heads in front of her. Mumbled words like "Her majesty..", "Highness..." and "My queen..." sounded through the silence. The arrogance she showed off was toxic and hard to watch. Slowly Lennart dragged me behind him and we followed the pseudoqueen into the castle. Through the entrance and into the great hall.