22

January 12th.

The first day back in action for the team...minus Tony.

After Bucky and Bri had kissed on New Years Eve, Bri immediately ran away. She didn't know what to do and running from the problem seemed like the best solution at the time. Bri had taken up residence in Wanda's room and explicitly told Friday to never disclose her whereabouts unless she was given further instruction.

Bucky stood on the roof to the compound that night for far longer than he should have. He was a little disappointed that his feelings weren't reciprocated, but he understood that baggage was weighing Bri down. It was weighing him down as well. He knew he was probably moving a little fast, but he never had the intention of scaring his favorite person away.

Steve had tried consoling Bucky, but he would immediately brush him off and say he was fine. Bucky was not mad, in fact, he was completely calm. That worried Steve. Bucky never took rejection well as a teen and he would mentally beat himself up to become a better, appealing man. 

Bucky also knew that the timing of the kiss most likely felt forced and rushed. It wasn't the way he wanted it to happen, but explaining the need for a proper NYE kiss seemed relevant. He wanted to take Bri on a million dates, spoil her, drown her in affection, and go to bed every night knowing she'd be there when he woke up.

Bri, on the other hand, camped out in the corner of Wanda's room trying not to cry. It had almost been two weeks and she regretted ruining the friendship that she and Bucky had. Wanda knew it was her mind that was forcing Bri to stay hidden and away from Bucky. She was constantly thinking about the consequences of her actions, and what could have been. 

Wanda did not understand how someone that deeply analyzed every detail of their life couldn't see the great opportunities they had coming. Bri's mind was running on negativity. She had never had someone emotionally and romantically there for her until she met Bucky, and now Bri convinced herself that she'd never be good enough.

"Did you send the research reports to Steve?" Wanda asked, entering the room with a coffee in hand. "Steve and Buck left for breakfast and he asked me before they went."

Bri nodded and wiped her face. "I sent them last night."

She had spent all of yesterday making sure the plans for the first mission of the year were set. Steve was stuck figuring out details, while Bri spent the majority of the time researching and hacking. Neither one of them wanted to mess up.

Wanda took a seat on the floor next to her best friend. She offered her a sip of the vanilla flavored drink before sighing. "You know you have to see him today."

"Yeah." Bri's voice cracked. "I also emailed Steve's specific written instructions just in cas-"

"You need to talk to Bucky." Wanda looked at her sternly. "You can't avoid him forever, especially if he's doing your old job. You're both adults and can have one civilized conversation about what happened."

She and Nat had been assisting Bucky with planning something special for Bri. They were just two nervous people that didn't know how to confront each other and make their feeling official.

"But it was my fault, Wan." Bri finally made eye contact with her. Her eyes were puffy and hadn't seen makeup in a while. She looked innocent, yet guilt-ridden. "He probably hates me."

Wanda chuckled. "You do forget that I can hear his thoughts."

Bucky had been replaying different scenarios in his head. Wanda heard the one about the first date, the one about their first 'I Love You', the one about marriage, and the one about what could have happened if the kiss was at a different time.