38

Bri sat on the balcony that Steve had designated as her "crying space."

She curled up on one of the outdoor couches with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. It often got chilly at night, and she sadly had to finally wash Bucky's hoodie that he had given her.

Bri knew she could just go grab another out of his closet, but she also knew how he felt about sharing. Growing up in a time of not having a lot impacted him in a way where he felt that he needed to fight for what was rightly his. It was also the sentiment of the action that made her want the specific one he gave her. 

It had been about three weeks since he went under for treatment and Bri honestly felt a little lonely. She didn't realize how much she and Buck were actually consistently together during the day. She busied herself as much as possible; avoiding Steve and eating meals alone again. 

Steve was constantly planning missions for Sam to carry out back in New York and Steve even tagged along with the Dora Milaje for some recon missions in Africa. Bri didn't really mind that he was still in the "fighting" mindset, but she did wish that he would give himself a break.

Bri had sworn off going on missions as soon as the pleading requests came out of Steve's mouth. She didn't want to spend her life being an Avenger, or whatever they were supposed to call themselves now. She wanted to start a life with Bucky and actually rest for once without worrying about her job.

"That's not me anymore, Steve. It's time for a change." Bri played with the worn out shoe lace of her converse. "Besides, you know he wouldn't want me to..."

Steve had approached her about traveling to Argentina and Chile to help deal with some security issues. He was on an important conference call and needed all the help he could get. She was the first person he could think of for the job.

Bri did not want to hear the business talk and tried her best to deflect Steve's suggestion. It was like he was her dad and he was scolding her, except she wasn't cowering in the corner.

"Since when do you listen to Bucky? Last time I checked, you can literally do whatever you want." Steve crossed his arms and rose a brow at her. "You're a strong and independent woman."

"I'll give you five dollars, right now, if you never say that again."

"C'mon, Bri." Steve ran a hand through his hair. "We can't keep everyone safe with just three people on a team-"

"It isn't our job to keep people safe anymore! We don't have a team!" Bri finally stood from her spot in the grass where she and Steve had come to watch the Okoye train recruits. "We're literal fugitives! I would like to mind my own business and not be arrested by Tony and the United States of America government." 

Steve quickly grabbed her hand before he had to chase after her. 

Bri shook her head. "Everything is different now and you know that. I just don't want to live a life where I don't know if I'll even be alive after missions. I have a lot to think about now and would rather stay here until Bucky wants to find a place to settle."

"I know you want a normal life, but we need to be prepared for-"

"I'm never going to have a normal life, Rogers." Bri huffed. "I just want the chance to start over and live how I want to live. On my own terms- without the Avengers."

"You can have that now, after we figure out-"

"Steve, please stop. You're not listening and you don't understand."

She marched back to her room and left Steve standing there with an ongoing phone call from Sam. He looked down and realized Sam had heard it all.