Ch. 9: Alex's Secret

Chapter 9

            Alex got a cab to pick her up, takes her back to the airport, and she gets the earliest flight to go home, which she would be flying all night, which she was fine with, the sooner the better.  She just didn’t know how she was going to break the news to her family.  Even to tell Joe that he was right after all.

            Alex got home at two in the morning, and felt bad what was going to happen once she gets inside.

            “Thank you,” Alex told the driver paying him a good tip, and gets out with her bags.

            The wind picked up so it was really cold outside.  She quickly went up to the door, got her keys to unlock the door, and the house alarm went off as she quickly went inside, shuts the door, finds the panel and puts in the code.  After she got it, the alarm shut off and she sighs.

Alex saw a light come on where she was and from upstairs.  She inhales as she sees on the stairs Paul came down with a baseball bat and Kevin behind him with a guitar.

“Alexis?” Paul asked seeing her by the front door and her bags on the floor.

Alex nods, “Hi daddy.  I’m home.”

“Alex sweetheart, are you ok?  What happened to staying with Chris and his family?” Paul said lowering the bat.

Alex starts to tear up, “We broke up.”

Kevin was quicker then his dad after lowering his guitar putting it on the couch, and goes over to pull Alex into a hug, “Alex I’m so sorry.”

Alex hugs Kevin and cries into his nightshirt.  “Why didn’t I listen to Joe?”  Alex then looked at Kevin as it just dawned on her, “Kevin, why were you going to kill someone with your second favorite guitar?”

Kevin pulls away and smiles, “It was the closest thing to me and I grabbed it.”

Alex laughs, “What happens if you did break it?”  She then hugs Kevin.  “It doesn’t matter.  Kevin you can always make my crying fits into a laugh.”

“What is going on down here?” Denise’s voice was heard as she comes downstairs.  “Alex honey, what happened?” she asked.

“Chris and her broke up,” Kevin told her as he held Alex.

“Oh sweetheart, what happened?  When you left you were so happy?” her mom asked pulling her into a hug.

Alex hugged her mom, “Well, we had this argument of what was going to happen after the wedding, and I just didn’t like it.”

“Sweetheart I am so sorry.”

“It’s fine mom.”  She looks at her mom, “Joseph was right.  I should’ve listened to him and my guts.”