This Letter

Author's note: I had this idea yesterday and couldn't let it go to waste. I'm aware that some of it might not make sense 100%, but my feels were all over the place writing this and I hope you guys enjoyed it anyways. As always, if you find some grammar and spelling errors, you can keep them :D I tend to confuse the English and German grammar from time to time, as well as the use of commas and stuff. But whatever, you'll get it. :D 

„...Happy Birthday too yoooouuuu."

It was just a few minutes passed midnight and everybody around me started clapping and cheering. I hate moments like this. It's more than awkward having a bunch of people singing Happy Birthday to you. I personally never really know what to do with myself or where to look. So I just stand there with an awkward smile on my face, hoping it'll end soon. "Thank you, guys." I said and looked at my fiancée. She wrapped her arms around my waist and pressed a kiss onto my cheek as Joe came over with the big birthday cake.

"Make a wish, little brother." he said and smiled at me. I thought about it for a moment. There were so many things I was wishing for, but one in particular crossed my mind. It's been on my mind for weeks now and with every passing day, that wish got stronger and stronger. Maybe it was because she couldn't here. Maybe it was because I haven't really talked to her for over 6 months. I closed my eyes for a few seconds before I looked at the candles again and blew them out.

"Happy Birthday, love." Priyanka said and cupped my cheeks, kissing me gently. I slowly took her wrists and pulled her hands down. I didn't like this kind of affection. Well, I do...but not with her. Of course she was a beautiful and lovely woman, but I still wonder what I've gotten myself into and if all of this was right. It felt right for a while. Maybe for a few days, but it soon turned into something I now can't get away from. It's just not that easy.

Of course I know about what people thought of Priyanka and me as a couple. And honestly? I couldn't really blame them. I never thought I'd get engaged to someone I barely know after two months of seeing each other. I purposely avoid the term "dating" because I don't think we really were. We were still getting to know each other and I don't think I ever really fell in love with her. How could you when your heart belonged to someone else for years now?

I sighed a little and licked my lips as I saw my friends and family raising their glasses, taking a sip from their drinks and chatting. I was happy that Dani involved Priyanka in a deep conversation and I didn't have to pretend any longer. At least not for a while. It was like I could finally breathe again. I grabbed my beer and a cigar, walking out onto the patio that offered a wonderful view over the city. The fresh air filled my lungs and I sat down, enjoying the silence that was interrupted by someone opening the patio door and I could hear the music coming from inside before it went quiet again. I didn't bother to look up and see who it was. All I did was light my cigar and inhaling deeply.

"It's a beautiful night, isn't it?"

I couldn't hold back the chuckle as Joe and Kevin sat down beside me. The both inhaled from their cigars as well and all three of us just looked out onto the city. "Really beautiful." I answered and took a huge sip from my beer.

Both of them knew how I was feeling. I didn't have to tell them, they just knew. We are brothers, we always know what's going on without having to put it into words. Sometimes I hated that they knew me so well because I couldn't hide shit from them.

"How are you feeling?" Kevin asked and I could see him look at me through the corner of my eyes.

I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. "I don't know." I said and ran my fingertip over my bottom lip. "It's my birthday, I'm engaged to a beautiful woman, my career is going great, but honestly...all of that doesn't really make me feel that good." I said and looked at Kevin. He pressed his lips together and I felt Joe's hand on my shoulder, looking over to him.