ix. vituperate

VITUPERATE: (v) to insult or abusee with strong, venomous language

❝ When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about. 

-  Haruki Murakami

Tugging the door open, Makenna gives a small nod to the stranger. He doesn't say anything and just keeps staring ahead. Heart beginning to hammer against her chest, Makenna slams the door shut and sits back, hugging her backpack to her chest after fastening the seat belt. The truck starts and they're off.

As they're making their way through Forks, Makenna speaks up in the hope of finding out who's driving her. "I'm Makenna but please call me Kenna." Mentally, she can't help but wish she were with Crook already.

There's a tense moment where Makenna is sure the boy isn't going to answer. It's not until they're out of Forks and on the way to the reservation that the boy finally talks. "Jacob Black."

Black. Billy! Makenna lights up but a glance at the closed off look on Jacob's face causes her to deflate. She nods once and then rests against the door. This is going to be a long trip.

Eventually, what feels like an eternity later, Jacob says, "I'm surprised you got along with Embry."

Makenna turns away from the trees to regard Jacob. There's something about him that makes her nervous and the irritating thing is she doesn't know why. It feels like he's being passive-aggressively hostile toward her. She might be making that up though because she hasn't done anything to warrant that type of behavior. At least, Makenna doesn't think she has. She wishes Paul or Embry were picking her up.

"I'm sorry?"

"He doesn't get to know people. I don't mean it in a bad way, he's been like that for a long time. People aren't genuine with him so he stopped trying. Now that he's with Sam, he doesn't really notice outside people anymore."

There are a number of things Makenna can say to that and even though she wants to ask how Jacob knows this and isn't he technically part of Sam's group, she settles for a small "Oh."

Jacob huffs a frustrated sound that has Makenna's nails digging into her thigh to calm herself down. She could really use Crook or any of Sam's boys right now, any of them other than the one next to her.

"You aren't going to ask why?"

"I figure," Makenna stops and licks her lips, "If it's something I should really know you'll tell me or some else will. I don't want to impose."

"You-" Jacob abruptly cuts himself off letting out another irritated huff. Makenna shrinks against the passenger door, looking away from Jacob in an effort to be less irritating and have him calm down. This is why people are easier to avoid. He takes a deep breath and releases it slowly. "I really wanted to hate you but you're making that hard for me."