vi. forelsket

FORELSKET: (n) the euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love  

"Nothing about 'Brotherhood' is ever wrapped up in a nice package."

-Annabeth Gish

Jared runs through the forest on paws instead of human feet. As he dodges past trees, his ears are raises, eyes scanning the trees while his nose takes in every scent. He's completely alert for any danger. Somewhere close by Sam is running patrol with him.

After Jared and Jacob encountered the bloodsucker that whisked Bella off to Italy, the Quileute elders have been on high alert. They don't know if the vampire family is moving back but it's up to the shifters to fulfill their duty to protect the reservation and that means running patrol to keep an eye on things. They've been running patrols before but those had been much laxer and Sam hadn't required everyone to run them in pairs. There are no more single patrols now though, not with the possibility of vampires returning. Again.

There's a hope in Jared, shared by his brothers, that the bloodsuckers aren't coming back. It would honestly be the last thing they need. It's bad enough Leah and Seth have just shifted, they don't need anyone else shifting - something vampires would definitely bring with them. Their close proximity brings the wolf in Quileutes out. Having two new wolves is difficult enough but one of them being Leah whose hard-headed and stubborn not to mention the first female to shift in Quileute history is enough on everyone's plate.

It's a great relief to Jared that he's running patrol right now and isn't saddled with watching Seth and Leah. Seth is fine, Leah...that's another matter entirely. Unfortunately, or fortunately for Jared, that duty has fallen on Paul and Embry. Jacob's been a right mood since Bella ran off and putting Sam with Leah together, willingly, is asking for destruction. No one is that insane.

Noon has just passed when Jared catches a new scent in the forest. A distinctively human scent that lacks the nauseating quality of a vampire's quirks his interest. People hike in the forest sure, but not over here, not in La Push. Hikers stay closer to the coast. Doubling back, he locks onto the scent and tracks it further into the forest. It's close to a trail that leads back to the Clearwater house which is curious. As he runs, Jared remains silent, becoming one with the forest to do so.

He's ashamed to admit it, but Jared is a little slow in realizing where he's ended up. There's a clearing near Emily's house that he'd stumbled upon one day during a patrol. The others haven't found it yet but Jared is of the mind that they're aware of it but are letting him keep the place to himself.

With this newfound clarity, he begins to slow down, cautiously approaching the treeline. His ears pick up at the sound of a heartbeat going faster than a person's usually is. It piques his curiosity. He purposely makes noise as he draws even closer, not wishing to draw the person out there, though he doesn't think his large size will help in not inducing panic.

In the center of the clearing is a girl. She hasn't noticed him yet but that quickly changes. Her head snaps up, eyes landing on where he's hidden. There's a pique in curiosity in his mind from Sam but he pushes it aside. He can report back when he knows more.

Having already been detected, Jared rises to his full height and walks out of the tree's coverage. As he does, he can't stop himself from looking the girl over. She's wearing combat boots and a dress that he doesn't think would be the best thing to wear out in the current weather - but he's a dude so what does he actually know about these types of things? At least she's wearing a heavy coat overtop. Her hair appears to be slightly messed up from how she was laying and it makes him want to chuckle a little. Then, then his eyes lock with hers and Jared's lost in their blue depth.