xvi. illecebrous

ILLECEBROUS: (adj) alluring, attractive, enticing

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.

- Flannery O'Connor

Sunday finds all three Swans at home watching a baseball game on the television. Makenna and Bella are both sitting on the couch with Makenna curled into one corner while Bella takes up the other and Charlie sits in the armchair. The day so far had been a lazy one, everyone rolling out of bed closer to noon than morning and somehow they had all ended up in their current positions.

Finally, sometime in the afternoon, Makenna sits up. "Uncle Charlie?"

"Kenny?"

"Can I make dinner tonight?"

Makenna really isn't the best at cooking but she's mastered some simple dishes thanks to being left at home on more than one occasion.

Charlie looks over at her for a moment and nods. "Of course Kenny. Need me or Bella to run to the store?"

"Dad!"

"Right, Bella's grounded. Thank you for reminding me, sweetie. Do you need me to run to the store Kenny?"

Makenna hides her smile as she stands, her uncle's behavior reminding her heavily of her dad's and finding the interaction amusing. "I'll need to check."

She goes into the kitchen and checks it to make sure she has everything she needs for the meal she has in mind. To her surprise, she does. "I've got everything Uncle Charlie," she calls out, getting to work at once.

It's a bit of a slow process and there's a lot of time that goes into making handmade meatballs but Makenna is willing to spend the time to hand-roll every meatball and mix the spices for the spaghetti sauce. And honestly, letting the meatballs simmer in the tomato sauce for just over three hours isn't that bad when no one is hungry right now and when there's something to do as you wait for the food to cook.

Once the meat begins to simmer, Makenna takes the kitchen timer with her back into the living room, setting it on the coffee table as she settles back into her seat to continue watching the game.

When there are ten minutes left on the timer, Makenna gets up and heads back into the kitchen. There's a pot of water already waiting for her and Makenna just turns the heat under it on. She turns the oven on as well and takes the garlic butter spread she prepared earlier out of the fridge. Each half loaf gets slathered with the spread as she waits for the oven to preheat and when the oven has warmed up, in the bread goes and the timer gets reset for the bread.