xxi. sillage

SILLAGE: (n) the scent that lingers in the air, the trail left in water, the impression made in space after someone or something has been gone

It is not "forgive and forget" as if nothing wrong had ever happened, but "forgive and go forward," building on the mistakes of the past and the energy generated by reconciliation to create a new future.

- Alan Paton

Time flies by without Jared or Makenna being aware of it and they make their way back to Emily's house a couple hours later. Makenna feels like she knows more about Jared than she does about another person and it feels almost like an information dump but she also gets it. Jared oversharing is a way to make up for how much he knows about her and she can't explain it but it makes something soften in her heart and takes the sting of the past week away.

However, there is something that's been nudging at her thoughts the whole walk and when they get back to Emily's Makenna is set on fixing it. So, as soon as she walks through the door, she looks around the room and locates Paul sitting on the couch and makes her way to him. As soon as he notices her approach, the other boy stands. Her arms go around him and Paul is quick to return Makenna's hug, tightening his arms around her.

"Will you take me to school on Monday please?"

Paul chuckles lowly, squeezing Makenna before releasing her. "You know I will."

Makenna returns Paul's smile but shivers as she feels some one's gaze on her. Turning her head, she notices Jared's eyes on her and instead of looking upset like she had momentarily suspected, he's smiling at her, smile getting bigger when he see's her looking. She returns it, feeling incapable of not doing so. And then another thought strikes her. "I need to call Charlie."

When Makenna pulls out her phone though, it's dead and Makenna feels herself deflate a little as worry begins to grow. "Can I borrow a phone?"

"I'll call my dad on the landline, Charlie should still be there," Jake offers, already heading for the kitchen.

"Thank you," Makenna says as she follows after him.

Jacob wastes no time in picking up the phone and dialling his home phone's number. It takes a moment after he finishes punching in the number before someone must pick up.

"Hey dad, it's Jake... Yea your son... How many other sons do you have?... What? No? Kenna's phone died and she needs to speak to Charlie... Uh-huh, thanks dad." Jacob pulls the phone away from his ear and turns to Makenna, holding it out. "Alright Kenna, all your's."

"Thanks," she says as she steps forward and takes the phone, pressing it to her ear.

There's rustling on the other end before she hears, "Kenny?"

"Hey Uncle Charlie, my phone died," she explains immediately before he can ask why she's calling him on a landline instead of her cellphone. "If it's okay, can I spend the rest of the day with every one here? I can ask some one to drive me back tonight."