Chapter 3

Victoria

"You leaving soon Victoria?" Mrs. Hall asked.

Mrs. Hall was the teacher I was student teaching for. I remember her being here while I was here and a lot of the students then complained about how trifling she was, but it shows now. She doesn't do anything and basically leaves the class up to me while she's in the teacher's lounge eating, eating in her classroom or lifting weights in the front of her room. 

"Yeah. I'm basically done with grading these papers," I said, gathering them up. "I'll just take them home and bring them back tomorrow."

"Alright. And what are they doing here?" She asked, pointing to Carla and Darnell who were sitting in the back of the room talking.

I was giving Darnell a ride back to his house today and Carla was just staying back to keep him company after school. I usually stay behind an hour or so each day since Mrs. Hall doesn't do anything. I'm always picking up her slack after school while she hangs out with her other teacher friends.

"I'm giving Darnell a ride home," I said, pushing my folders of ungraded papers down into my backpack. I couldn't see myself carrying around a huge suitcase or other rolling device like the other teachers, so I just stuck to the basics and used a backpack. All of my colleagues say I look just like another kid coming down the halls, but it doesn't really bother me. I might look like a kid but at least I'm handling my business. 

"And Carlos?" She asked.

"My name is Carla," she spoke up. "And I was leaving."

Mrs. Hall turned her nose up at her. "I don't care about what your name is."

"Obviously."

I shook my head and just pulled my backpack over my shoulders. "Come on guys. Bye Mrs. Hall, I'll be here bright and early tomorrow."

She smiled. "I know you will Victoria. I'm not going to be here tomorrow, so open up the door for the sub and show him or her the ropes and you lead the class."

I nodded my head and let Darnell and Carla walk out before me. We all walked down the quiet hallways together and took the elevator down to the first floor so we could leave out.

"I'm so glad she's not gonna be there tomorrow," Carla smiled, causing me to smile a little. "I swear we'd be dumb as hell if it weren't for you Miss. M. Can I call you Victoria too?"

I laughed and shook my head. "Of course you can't."

"What about me?" Darnell asked.

"You can't either," I replied. "Do you need a ride home Carla?"

"Nah, I gotta walk home. I live on the street directly across from the school."

I nodded my head and let Darnell and Carla tell each other bye and do their business before Darnell and I walked over to my car. I sat my backpack on top of my car and unlocked my doors.

"Damn," Darnell smiled as he looked at my car. "This you Miss. M?"

I smiled as we climbed into the car. "Yeah." As soon as we got comfortable in my car, I pulled off from the empty school building and began my ride a few blocks over to his house that he was giving me directions to. I pulled up in front of his small, run down house and parked my car. "Do you need me to come in and help you?"

Darnell turned from looking out of the window and sighed. "Nah, I got it. I'll just be a few minutes."

He took a deep breath and climbed out of my car. He pulled his pants up and walked up to his house before sliding inside of the side door. I locked my doors and noticed this side of town, all too well. Rob and Teddy used to live over here when they were younger and it wasn't safe then, but even now it's still the same. It's not safe but kids are still outside playing in the street and in their front yards and the drug dealers are still loafing the streets trying to make sells.