Chapter 16

Hazel

"Get your ass out of my house," I sternly said to Rodney.

How'd he even get inside of the condo? I mean, the locks on the doors didn't look like they were tampered with and we don't have a balcony, so I have no idea how he got inside of here. And who does he think he is to go through our cabinets and make himself something to drink like he lives here, or owns the place for that matter?"

Rodney placed Victoria's mug down on the coaster on the side table closest to him before looking up at me with a smile on his face. He was wearing that same sinister smile he always wore in high school, and still to this day it creeps me out. Some of my most vivid images of him include him standing over me and beating me with that smile on his face.

"Why? You ain't wanna see me or something?" He asked.

I opened my mouth to speak but Victoria spoke up for me. "No she doesn't. You need to leave because I swear we're going to call the police on you and they're going to lock your crazy ass back up."

Rodney shook his head. "I understand you're probably mad about what I did to you, but I was young and stupid."

"You still are," I mumbled.

"I'm gonna pretend like I did hear that," he replied. "But seriously, I just came by to apologize to the both of y'all. I know what I did was wrong and could have killed you but I was just taking my anger out on you Victoria. I was mad about how you tried to get me taken away from Hazel. I love this girl."

I shook my head. Here he goes with loving me again. I just don't understand how you can be in love with somebody you're constantly abusing. Not only did he mentally abuse me, but he physically abused me to the point where I was too afraid to go around my friends and family. My self esteem was at an all time low, and the only person to help bring me back to how I used to be was Robert. I'll admit he was a player at first, but he helped me. He treated me like a boyfriend's supposed to treat their girlfriend. He loved me. He protected me. And he was there for me, in more ways than just physically. He was emotionally there for me. When I had depressing days, he was always there to cope with me through the pain. He always bought me out of the permanent slump Rodney had me in, and therefore, I love him because of that. 

"You don't love me, you never did. You're not supposed to control somebody in a relationship. That's not love Rodney."

He frowned. "Yeah? Well, what do you know about love?"

"I know so much about love because I have a boyfriend that adores me. He doesn't put his hands on me when he's upset. He doesn't go crazy on me and then tries to buy me something to cope for my hurt feelings. He's normal. He talks to me when he's upset."

"I talked to you too!" Rodney exclaimed.

"Obviously counseling didn't help you because I said one thing and you're already angry."

He sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. You know how you can get when you're crazy in love."

"No, I don't know. Look, you need to go Rodney."

"Not until you accept my apology. I want you to see that I'm a changed man. I changed baby. I changed for you so we can start fresh, like in high school when we were happy."

"I was never happy with you," I replied.

He sighed. "Look, I know we had some bad times but I'm sure the good times trump those. You've got to admit we did have some good times," He chuckled, trying to sooth the moment but I don't have any good memories of him. All of the memories I have of him are bad, and I can't even say the same thing about Robert. All I can remember are good times with him, extremely good times.