• t h i r t y • s i x •

Millie's POV:

Ding!

I tapped the notification on my screen, taking me to the Messages app on my iPhone.

Jacob: miss me babe?

I rolled my eyes, nearly gaging at his words.

Me: It's only been a few days, Jacob.

Jacob: whatever. I just wanted to tell you that I'll be in New York for my birthday tonight, and you're coming.

Me: Who said I was coming? I need to film, and you know that.

Jacob: You will come, I'm not taking no for an answer, shortcake.

I hated when he called me that.

Jacob: also, what kind of a girlfriend are you? you didn't even text happy birthday.

The fake kind.

I tried to let his offside comments roll off my back.

Me: I'll see what I can do.

I sent the message, then put my phone down on the coffee table. I picked up my cup of mint and fennel tea, and thought about Jacob's request. 

Not request,

Demand.

"Something up, Millie?" I heard a soft feminine voice ask, and I looked up. Sadie emerged from the bedroom in her light blue bath robe. She walked over to the living room where I sat, and plopped down in a chair beside me. I watched with interest as she reached into her pocket, and pulled out a small sudoku book and a pencil.

"No," I lied, forcing a slight smile on my face. I glanced down at my toes, observing that I hadn't changed yet. I set down my tea, then walked sleepily over to my bedroom, and threw on Finn's Calpurnia hoodie along with my airport Roots sweatpants. I tied my hair up in a quick messy bun with a light blue scrunchie.

I closed my drawers, and heard the door swing open in the other room.

"And there were snakes, Finn. You know I hate snakes," Gaten spoke quickly, and I turned around to face the door. All four boys walked into the peaceful condo like a herd of elephants.

"Now why are you guys out on a Friday morning?" I asked entering the main space, but was ignored. I didn't really care though, I was intrigued. I sat back down on the couch beside Sadie.

"Yes Gaten, you don't need to remind me," Finn said, then ruffled his hands through his hair.

"It couldn't have been that bad," Caleb said, clearly not believing whatever Gaten was talking about.

"I'm sorry," Gaten said sassily, putting a hand on his hip, "Is a nightmare revolving around your worst fear not that bad to you?"

"What are you guys talking about?" I asked, taking another sip of my tea.

"Gaten had a dream where snakes were attacking him or something. He won't stop talking about it though, and it's getting super annoying," Noah explained, and I nodded slowly.

"We brought you something," Gaten chirped up, and placed a small paper bag on the counter. He grabbed a plate from the cupboard, and emptied the contents of the bag onto the plate. 

"Go give this to her," Gaten instructed, and Caleb took the plate in his hands.

"Here, Caleb leaned down beside the coffee table and placed a plate, holding my favourite food in the entire world.

A cinnamon bun.

"OH MY GOD THANK YOU!" I screamed in joy, jumping up from the couch. 

"It was Finn's idea," Caleb added. I glanced across the room to Finn, who was fidgeting nervously with his hands.