Chapter 14

Why New York? Of all the other great places in New Jersey, he picked New York. It's not even in this state! The Big Apple is cool for all those struggling actors, dancers with the same dream, and tourists. I'm not one who likes being judge by the public eye, and you're definitely being criticized as soon as you center the fabulous NYC.

"Simon, do we have to go there? We can go get yogurt samples like you said."

"Yes we do. You didn't want to decide on a place together, so I made the choice, remember?"

"Yeah."

It won't be that bad, Simon is here with me. Considering I've lived here all my life, I've only been to New York to go to my mom's publisher's firm, a class field trip in ninth grade, and to see a baseball game with my dad. It was boring, baseball's not my kind of sport. I'd rather watch 'Project Runway' all day then go see sweaty men toss a ball.

However, I'd be willing to watch Simon play. It's interesting, soccer.

"What do you plan to do when we get there?"

I know he didn't just move our problems statewide. I mean, we couldn't find anything to do in Edison, so he drives forty-five minutes for a solution? No way.

"It's a surprise." He looks to me, noticing how hard it is for me to believe there's actually a solid plan. "Andrea really, I do have a date set out. It's a surprise though."

He rests his hand on my hand. He did this Tuesday. I was surprised that day, but now it's expected and comforting. After spending this week getting to know each other more, I've become talkative; anticipating telling Simon about my day at school in the car and what I did the night before in History. He shared how he walked in on Kim when she was showering in his bathroom. Simon was pissed at his dad for it, saying that he has a working bathroom, enough for two people to shower together.

I can tell Simon has a problem with Kim.

I get it. If my dad wanted a somewhat rebound girl, that's if he divorced my mom, and it turns out she's about my age, I'd be furious. Even so, I wouldn't deliberately hate on her if he truly loves her, which I'm sure his dad does. Then again, my parents are a happy lively couple, that still think they are fresh as Lavender-Scented Febreeze.

And my mother is alive and well.

I'm truly a terrible person, huh?

"Okay."

_______________________

"Okay what's next. We got the hot dogs, passed by Libby, and saw tourists." Simon apparently did have it planned out.

He carries around this planning book with him, that I'm assuming is feeding him his date activities. So far it's been very fun, better than what I thought. I indeed had a hot dog and pointed out the tourists. They tend to be the ones with disposable cameras and satchels across their chest.

We walk down some pretty street, low hanging trees shade in the road's wildlife, creating patterns on the sidewalk. There's a park and beautiful town homes, housing a hundred years of thoughts and  memories. I look up to Simon, still engrossed in the little black book. I want to snatch it from him. 

What does it say?

"Can we go home?"

This was fun, but I think it's about it for me.

He stops walking, dropping the book to his side.

"Andrea." I turn my head to him. "This will be the best date you've ever had, so no, we are not going back to Edison now."