Chapter 5

"Dork, some Simon guy is telling me his address! You realize I have a boyfriend. I'm not the cheating type if that's what you're thinking!"

Mandy storms in my bedroom, tossing her phone next to my sleepy body. I turn to grab it and look at the message. Simon doesn't live too far from me, probably about fifteen minutes. I drop the cell, and climb out my bed to get ready.

"Mom, I'm going out." I flatten down the front of my black skater dress, then put my converse on.

After spending a good thirty minutes debating between a dress and skirt I bought recently, I finally came to a decision.

"Where?" I look to mom getting ready to walk Splats.

She looks so funny wearing the little harness. I can tell she's miserable.

"I'm working on a school project at a friend's place." I take my bag and throw it over my shoulder.

"You could just say Cecil's house, sweetie." We both step out the door to leave.

"It's not though." I walk the three steps down to the driveway.

"What?" I look back at my mother's shocked face.

"It's another friend."

"Boy or girl?" She walks down to face me, Splats lagging behind.

"Boy."

"Boy? Boyfriend?" Her face looks hopeful and skeptical now.

"No. A boy, but friend. We are only doing work."

"That's what your father told your grandma when I went to his house. Then you came along."

I mentally puke.

"Thanks mom, but he's seriously just a work partner okay?" I walk off down the sidewalk.

I can just walk to his house instead of asking dad to drive me.

"Okay, but I'm not stopping you from having a boyfriend, Andy." She goes on the sidewalk like me, but leaves the opposite way.

"I know. You would let anyone be my boyfriend, a pedophile even."

"If you love him, yes."

"Great mother, I'll invite him over next time."

"Okay I'll set out another placemat for him."

It's sad my mother believes I only have one friend, but it's only sad because it's true.

By the time I get to Simon's house, my feet are really killing me.

Converse with no socks is not a good combination.

I walk up to the light blue house to knock on the door. It' a pretty house with an abundance of multi-colored flowers and plants growing in the front yard. I wish my mom was a gardener or at least liked growing her own plants. However, dad does a good job keeping the grass green and weed free. I hear voices on the other side as I stand there on his doorstep.

Am I too early? This could be a bad time.

Before I attempt to ring the doorbell, the door swings open and a lady is standing there.

Wow.

"Hello, you must be Andrea, I'm Kim."The lady holds out her hand for me and I shake it.

"Yes nice to meet you."

She's a pretty lady with brown highlighted hair and hazel eyes. She's young and motherly like, with her small hands. Maybe this is Simon's sister, because his mother died so she can't be that.