Three.

"When it comes to luck, you make your own." - Bruce Springsteen

Wednesday March 7th, 2018

THE SMELL OF GROUND COFFEE fills my nose. I look around my bustling café, taking everything in. Today is my first official operating day at the café. I have all my new staff working, greeting people at the door, making the drinks, waiting the tables. Everything is going so well. I am just wandering around, checking up on my staff and customers.

A lot of my customers seem to be college students coming from Berkeley up the road which is really good for me, I must admit.

I decide to take a break sitting at the only empty table in the café with a peppermint tea. I've never really been that much of a coffee person, I'd much rather tea. I know, I run a café that makes mostly coffee, yet, I don't really like coffee, sue me.

The chair in front of me pulls out and a familiar face is quickly sat in front of me. Lukas. His hair is disheveled and curly, much different to his styled hair from the other night. The plain grey shirt that he is wearing shows off every curve on his body while not looking too tight and 'douchey'. My smile instantly turns into a frown. This is going to be interesting.

"So, I was up all night trying to think of this. Tell me what you think." He holds his hands out, bracing me for what he's about to say, "Are you a magician? Because whenever I see you, everyone else disappears." He states proudly and I burst into laughter, snorting. The one thing that I actually had in common with my Dad was snorting while laughing. Out of all the things... Lukas' eyes widen and he bursts into laughter after hearing the strange noise that came from me.

"That was dreadful." I finally say after recovering from my laughing fit, "You're going to have to do a lot better than that." I admit, taking a sip from my tea. His face drops and he lets out a long groan, throwing his head back. His adams apple bobs as he gulps. I am loving watching this guy struggle.

"Come on! I'm trying so hard here." He bargains, running his hands through his gorgeous hair. Jealous.

I shake my head, "Not hard enough, obviously." I shrug and he frowns, his forehead wrinkling. This is fun. "You don't get rejected often do you?" I question him and he shakes his head.

"Nope, that's why I keep trying with you." He admits and I nod. Lukas isn't the type of guy who would get turned down often, he's the type of guy who could have any girl he wanted at his disposal. He probably does, rich ones too. So why in the world would he be trying so hard with me?

"You're persistent. But, unfortunately, you're going to be trying for a long time. I'm not looking for anything at the moment." I say a-matter-of-factly.

"I've got time." He tells me. My face heats up and I look down at my tea. I wrap both my hands around the mug, feeling its warmth. "You have an accent. Where are you from?" Lukas asks.

I look up at him, "Australia, I moved here about 3 years ago." His face lights up with interest and he leans on the table, looking at me intently.

"Why'd you move? Australia is supposed to be a beautiful place." He seems genuinely interested. There is no way that I'm going to tell this guy the truth. I met him the other night, I don't know him at all.

"I love Australia, I always will. But, my sister and I have family here." I don't look him in the eyes as I say it. I've never been a good liar. I just give it away so quickly. He eyes me suspiciously, obviously knowing that I'm not telling the truth but thankfully he decides to let it go.

Phew.

He pushes his glasses further up his nose, "Is your sister the girl you came in with last night?" He asks me and I nod in response. So many questions from this guy. I already know what question is coming next. He's going to ask about the whole your-sister-only-has-one-leg-thing. "I talked to her a bit last night actually, she's really sweet. How old is she?" He decides to ask which really surprises me. I'm glad he didn't ask, It's probably what is on his mind, but its nice to know that isn't all he cares about.