06 secure

(edited)

(edited)

____
B L A K E

'I didn't have anywhere else to go,' I said, hugging my arms for warmth. My clothes were damp with rain, my hair matted against my skin. My teeth even chattered as I spoke, shivers crawling all along my body.

North stood before me, perplexed. We were hidden in the shadows of an empty side alley across from the Eden Club, the faulty streetlamp above our heads flickering dangerously. It was barely enough to illuminate the wet pavement beneath our feet, let alone light up our faces. After the incident at the highway, I couldn't return to the motel. It was simply too dangerous. The Detroit Police Department were probably crawling all over that place by now, and that Android—Connor—would surely be doing a background check on me. He had seen my face. All he had to do was run facial recognition through the data base and he would have a field day. He probably knew everything about me by now. The only person I had left to turn to for help was North.

After I killed William, North was the one who helped me flee the Eden Club. Unfortunately, that also made her an accomplice to a crime—my crime. If the Detroit Police decided to probe her memory for information regarding the incident, she would not only involuntarily reveal my identity, but she would also be decommissioned for being deviant. The only option she had left was to escape and go on the run with me. Not a single day went by that I didn't regret getting her involved, but it was too late to change the past now. All that was left to do was deal with the cards fate had given us and adapt accordingly.

Without a moment's hesitation, North wrapped me in a hug, taking me by surprise. 'It's good to see you again, Blake. It's just a shame it had to be under these circumstances though.'

I hugged her tightly. 'Yeah. . .'

'Come on, I'll take you back to Markus.' She took my wrist and began pulling me out of the dark alleyway. 'He'll know what to do.'

As we briskly walked away from the club, careful to not draw any added attention to ourselves, I spotted a police car arrive, parking out the front of the lit-up club. It was Lieutenant Anderson and Connor. Jesus, those two are everywhere. The Lieutenant staggered towards the entrance like he was drunk, thankfully not sparing a glance in our direction, but Connor, on the other hand, seemed to stop, almost like he could sense my presence—feel my eyes on him. I knew he couldn't see me across the road, but it still unsettled me. It was almost like we were being drawn together.

Wherever I go, he just seems to follow.

Shut up, Blake, I thought to myself, scolding the tiny voice at the back of my mind. He's hunting you down—that's why he keeps appearing wherever you are. It's as simple as that. Stop overthinking it.