23 isolated

(edited)

(edited)

After we reached the location Markus had sent the other Androids to, we all seemed to scatter. There were at least a few hundred Androids that had managed to escape and were gathered here. That was a good sign, but at the same time, a few hundred was nothing compared to the entire population of Detroit, or CyberLife for that matter.

I sat with North on one of the few benches left—most had already been claimed by other Androids. I watched Connor from where I was sitting. He was leaning up against a stone pillar, his arms folded across his chest. I saw Markus approaching him and quickly stood, walking over to the pair.

'It's my fault CyberLife managed to locate Jericho. . .' Connor managed weakly. 'I was stupid. I should've guessed they were using me.' He then unfurled from his position by the wall, approaching Markus. 'I'm sorry, Markus. I can understand if you decide not to trust me.'

'You're one of us now,' Markus said. 'Your place is with your people.'

I approached Connor's side, looping my arm through his. He smiled down at me before something darker crossed his face. Connor took a step back, shimmying out of his jacket. 'Here,' he said, passing it to me. 'You must be freezing.'

I slid my arms through the sleeves, finally registering that my teeth were still chattering. The heat was heavenly on my cold skin. 'T-Thank you.'

'We're putting together some supplies,' Markus began. 'There's a car out the back, I need you to take it and go as far away from Detroit as you possibly can.' Markus caught the stern look I was giving him. 'It's only until things start to settle down. I'll keep in contact, reporting updates and keeping you well informed on the situation.'

'Markus, you seriously can't expect me to just leave,' I protested.

'After what happened tonight at Jericho, I do. It's too dangerous right now, and until things calm down, you aren't allowed to return to Detroit.'

I shifted from one foot to the other, distributing my weight. 'And what about you? What about CyberLife?'

'We'll be fine, Blake. We can take care of ourselves,' Markus reassured me, however, I wasn't entirely convinced. He then turned his attention away from me and started to address Connor. 'Please make sure she's safe in the meantime. There's a cabin a little ways out of Detroit. It's surrounded by forestry and isolated from everything else. You'll be safe there.'

Connor nodded and I frowned, feeling tears of frustration starting to well in my eyes. 'But what about you? What about North? Simon? Josh? I can't just leave you to fend for yourselves!'

North approached us, her hands positioned at her hips. 'You need to go with him, Blake. Please, just trust me on this.'

I bit back tears as I wrapped my arms around her. 'I'm really going to miss you guys,' I finally said, my voice barely a whisper.