26 secrets

(edited)

(edited)

After I finished showering, I put on a maroon sweater and a pair of black shorts. Connor was still out on the porch, only now he was wearing a dark-grey T-shirt and jeans. I stepped out beside him, staring out at the rain as it fell. 'When are you leaving?'

Connor folded his arms across his chest. 'As soon as the rain stops.'

That soon. . .

'I want to come with you.'

He sighed. 'Blake, you know that's not possible. It's too dangerous.'

'It's dangerous for the both of us,' I countered, turning to face him. 'If CyberLife manages to capture you, you'll be deactivated, and I'll be left here waiting for someone who will never return.' Biting his lip, Connor glanced over at me. My eyes pleaded with him. 'Please, Connor. I can't lose you.'

'You're not going to lose me.'

'You don't know that!' I protested.

Connor looked down and I followed his gaze. He had taken my hands into his, interlocking our fingers. 'I don't plan on leaving you anytime soon. Trust me.' Somewhere along the way, the radio had turned on, a soft melody pouring out onto the porch. 'Dance with me,' Connor whispered.

Too numb to object, I allowed Connor to take my hand in his, drawing it to the side. He then let his other hand drift down to my waist, pulling me close. I rested my head against his shoulder, allowing my body to move in time with his. We stayed like that, silently swaying in sync with each other.

'I always wanted to slow dance.'

'Why haven't you?' I asked softly, my voice slightly muffled.

I could imagine the smile on his face, eyes shining brightly as he spoke. 'I guess I just hadn't found the right partner.' Trying to stop the tears from flowing, and failing miserably, I buried my face deeper into his shoulder. 'Blake?' I swallowed a sob, my shoulders shaking slightly. 'Blake, what's wrong? Hey. . .' Connor stopped dancing, his hands gently taking me by the shoulders.

I sniffled, desperately trying to wipe the tears away. 'It's just. . . after my parents passed away, I was so heartbroken. For months, I stopped eating, stopped smiling.' My lip began to quiver. 'I didn't speak a word for an entire year. It was only when Elijah started teaching at the orphanage that I finally spoke.' I started sobbing. The emotions that I had suppressed for so long, finally managing to escape. 'It took me years to emotionally recover from the accident, and even longer to move on. You have become such an important part of my life, Connor. If I were to lose you now, it would be like losing my parents all over again. I would be alone.'