32 crossfire

(edited)

(edited)

We headed to Hart Plaza, in downtown Detroit. When we finally reached the rooftop, Connor moved towards the edge and set the case down. He then clicked it open and started to assemble the rifle. Once he was done, he lowered his head to look through the scope. Meanwhile, I set my bag down and grabbed out my binoculars.

            'They really are going all out, aren't they?'

            CyberLife had set up a massive stage in the middle of the park area. They had spotlights directed towards it, a few chairs lining the back of the stage with a sleek wooden podium positioned at the front. People had started to gather, their clothes flaked with snow.

            I started to shiver, suddenly becoming all too aware of the cold. I lowered my binoculars and settled onto the ground beside Connor. His jaw was tense. 'They're beginning to file on,' he said, and I immediately looked back to the stage.

            They were mainly male, all varying in ages. Those in laboratory coats claimed the seats on stage whereas those in black suits stood on guard, their hands folded in front of them. A woman with dark coiled-hair and chocolate-brown skin ascended the steps. Connor gritted his teeth.

            'What is it?' I asked, glancing between him and the stage.

            His grip tightened on the rifle. 'That's Amanda,' he said, nodding towards the woman. 'She's the one who tried to make me kill Markus.'

            That bitch.

            A man in a crisp suit joined her, his hair slicked back.

            'That's Daniel Greyes,' Elijah said through my earpiece. 'He was my partner, helped me design CyberLife. That was until he betrayed me by sleeping with my girlfriend at the time. He ended up taking over the business when I left.'

            'That's good to know.'

            'Argh, look at his smug face. God, he's such an asshole,' Elijah grouched and I couldn't help but laugh.

            'Thank you all for coming.' Daniel's voice carried around the park, amplified through the microphone. 'As you know, there has been an increase of deviancy in our Androids. To detain this rising issue, we have temporarily placed all Androids in camps. This is so our professionals can study their programs to determine why such an error is occurring. We understand that this has angered most people, but I assure you that once the problem is solved, all Androids will be returned to their rightful owners.'

            I checked the stairwell leading up to the rooftop as Daniel continued on, making sure we weren't being snuck up on by CyberLife soldiers. I found myself growing increasingly more impatient, the bad feeling from earlier beginning to return, making my stomach twist itself into tight coils. Suddenly, there was a high-pitched whistle, and my head snapped up at the sound.