18 human

(edited)

(edited)

I woke up late. My body obviously needed the extra hours to heal—who was I to deny it? I ended up staying in bed for most of the day, only getting up briefly to go to the bathroom or to eat. The others came to visit me frequently, constantly checking in, ensuring that I was okay and that I had everything I needed. The people who stopped by the most were North and Markus. Okay, mainly North. She would drop by nearly every few minutes, sometimes staying with me until someone would have to come fetch her.

            Things were a bit rocky at first, but we eventually fell into our usual rhythm: laughing, smiling, and joking about practically everything. She mainly talked about Markus, with me talking about Connor—going into greater detail about the time we spent together at the motel.

            I was officially obsessed. I really needed to stop.

            We also had some really heartfelt conversations, getting everything off our chests. It felt good talking to North. It was like a massive boulder had been lifted from my chest, making me feel lighter.

            North was in the middle of telling me what happened last night—how they freed some Androids and left their symbol all over downtown Detroit—when there was a knock at the door. Simon's head popped around the corner. 'Sorry to interrupt, but Markus needs you North.'

            I flashed her a knowing look, smirking. She hit my shoulder and I laughed. 'Thanks for letting me know, Simon. Tell him I'll be right there.'

            Simon nodded and I offered him a small wave. He smiled in return before disappearing out the door.

            North's groaned as she stood up from the ground. 'Duty calls.'

            I laid back on my bed. North had brought more pillows and blankets for me, trying to make me feel as comfortable as possible. I propped my injured leg up on a pillow. 'Duty calls,' I repeated, and she smiled.

            'I'll see you soon,' she said, and I saluted. North rolled her eyes. 'Try and keep hydrated. Eat some food while you're at it.'

            North then left, gently closing the door behind her. My eyes felt extremely heavy. Despite having slept most of the day, I was still extremely tired. I suppose that's what happens when you get shot. Your energy levels decrease significantly, turning you into a wannabe-couch-potato.

            I blew out a breath, nearly jumping when a loud buzzing sound emitted from my bag. I dug around, fishing out the phone Connor had given me. Displayed on the screen was his name, followed by the message: "We need to talk. It's urgent."

            I unlocked the device, going into the message. "Where?"

            I waited for a few seconds before another message popped up.