24 disappoint

(edited)

(edited)

'I didn't know that was in there! North packed my bag so it's not like I chose to bring something like that with me,' I said, the words practically tumbling out of my mouth in my panicked frenzy to rectify the situation.

            Connor adverted his eyes to the ground. 'I was going to say that it'd look nice on you.'

            I stopped, blinking slowly.

            I was going to say that it'd look nice on you. . . I was going to say that it'd look nice on you! I thought he was going to be mad, but instead, he said that it'd look nice on me! He even looked embarrassed!

            Okay, Blake. Be cool.

            'You think so?'

            I mentally face-palmed myself.

            Connor cleared his throat. 'I made you something to eat. It's in the kitchen.'

            I felt my heart sink slightly. It was an obvious attempt to change the subject. One that I don't know whether I was grateful for or disappointed in. 'Oh, yeah. Of course. Thanks. . .' I said awkwardly.

            I followed Connor to the kitchen, feeling as if I'd just made the biggest fool of myself. I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. Why did I leave it out instead of burying the lingerie deep inside my bag? No, the better question was why did North even pack something like that? Sure, I like Connor, but he probably doesn't even feel that way about me. As far as I'm concerned, we're just friends.

            Yet again, he did say that the lingerie would look nice on me. That's not something a friend would usually say.

            I felt rather smug walking into the living space, only to see Connor and immediately feel like the smallest being on earth. 'Thank you,' I said again as I grabbed the plate from the kitchen bench top. My stomach growled in anticipation and I quickly took a bite, my eyes immediately going wide with surprise. 'This is the best sandwich I've ever eaten.'

            'I'm glad you like it.' He then shifted so that he was leaning against the bench. 'May I ask you a personal question?' I froze, slowly taking another bite of my sandwich. 'I noticed that your heart rate is elevated, and your pulse is continuously spiking. Did my comment before make you uncomfortable?'

            I nearly choked on my food. Why would he think that?

            'No, you didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. Surprised maybe, but not uncomfortable.'

            'Oh. . .'

            When awkward silence started to fall, I cleared my throat. 'So, Connor. What are we supposed to do while we wait for things to calm down?' I asked, changing the subject.