22 forward

(edited)

(edited)

____
B L A K E

'Markus, what's going on?' I asked, keeping my voice low to avoid being detected by any of the agents. I didn't recognise their uniforms, so they certainly weren't part of the Detroit Police Department.

            But what does that mean for us? Did something happen to Connor?

            As if reading my mind, Markus said, 'Connor's going to meet us at the hold. It's not that far now—'

            'Connor's here?' I asked in disbelief, eyes wide.

            'He came back to help, and to find you—' He broke off and pushed me up against the wall, caging me beneath his arms. Markus pressed up against me, shielding my body with his as we hid around the corner. He placed a finger to his lips, signalling for me to be quiet as a squad of agents ran by, their guns raised and ready to shoot on sight.

            'All clear!' one called, motioning for the others to continue forward. He then fell in step behind them, eyes scrutinising the hall.

            I was breathing heavily as I watched them disappear, an amalgamation of fear and adrenaline rushing through my veins. Markus waited for a few seconds, confirming that they were really gone, before stepping away from me. 'Sorry about that. Let's keep moving.'

            Markus and I moved through the ship, making our way towards the hold. Markus saved those who had been cornered by agents, telling them to flee to the various exits situated throughout Jericho. We ran into Josh and Simon along the way and Markus ordered them to rally the other Androids and to find North. Simon was right. Jericho is more than a place. It's a people.

            As we rounded another corner, the entrance to the hold just down the hall, guards stood with their guns trained on us. It was like they had been waiting in anticipation, as if they had been expecting us to round that corner at any second. 'Well, if isn't Markus, leader of the deviants,' a gravelly voice husked, chuckling darkly. A man then stepped out from behind the agents. Stubble decorated his chin, dark hair framing his cold eyes. He wore a black trench coat, making his white button-up appear ten times brighter in the dim light. 'And who do we have here?' He grinned. 'Blake Forbes, wanted for the murder of William Blackwell. Why am I not surprised; a criminal working with other criminals.'

            'Who are you?' I asked, trying desperately to keep my voice level.

            'Agent Perkins, FBI. CyberLife personally requested we take you both in our custody. I will admit though, I am surprised to find you here Miss Forbes—that was something I certainly didn't anticipate. No matter, I'll simply be killing two birds with one stone.'