21 promise

(edited)

(edited)

____
C O N N O R

As I walked into the precinct, I saw the Lieutenant. He was sitting at his desk, his eyes glued to the monitor in front of him. I quickly scanned the room, pleased when I didn't see Detective Reed or any staff from CyberLife. However, there was something off about the precinct. It was unnaturally quiet, and practically empty. Usually, the room would be buzzing with life, the sound of relentless fingers against keyboards and the soft buzz of technology hanging in the air.

            What is going on?

            I hurried over to the Lieutenant, briskly increasing my pace. When I was at his side, Hank finally looked up. 'Ah, Connor. Just the Android I wanted to see.'

            I kept my expression indifferent, my hands hanging at my sides. 'May I just ask, where is everyone?' I began calmly, trying to squash the panic rising in my chest.

            Hank cast a quick glance around the precinct. 'While you were off doing god-knows-what, CyberLife contacted Jeffrey. They said that they knew the deviants' main hideout: some old shipping vessel the deviants apparently refer to as Jericho?'

            My eyes widened in horror, my breath momentarily hitching in my throat. I swallowed hard. 'Where is everyone now?'

            Hank eyed me suspiciously. 'Jeffrey sent all available agents to the location. Agent Perkins has the FBI crawling all over that place.' The Lieutenant then shifted his weight. 'I thought you would be happy to hear this? We finally found where the deviants have been hiding. You finally accomplished your mission, Connor.'

            The mission doesn't matter anymore. What matters is protecting Blake. If CyberLife manages to get their hands on her, she's as good as dead.

            I couldn't control the feelings that stirred in my chest. It was a mixture of various thoughts and emotions, which all seemed to blend into one: blind panic. They're going to attack Jericho.

            'Hank, we need to leave right now,' I said before turning on my heel and heading back towards the entrance. When I looked over my shoulder, I noticed that Hank hadn't moved and was still standing where he had been before.

            'What's the rush? They can take care of it, Connor. We don't need to get involved—'

            'Blake is there!' I interjected loudly, cutting him off. Hank immediately turned pale. 'And if we don't leave right now, they're going to find her and hand her over to CyberLife! Please, Hank. Just trust me. We have to help her.'

            Based on the look on the Lieutenant's face, I knew he was itching to ask about Blake and what her involvement was in all of this mess, but  he stayed quiet, meaning that he was going to grill me about it later. He then snatched his keys from his desk and jogged over to me.