36. i feel

"Are you ready to go kayaking?" Louis said excitedly as Harry entered through the door.

"Someone's feeling better already," Harry replied with a smile. "Only a week on the new meds. Are you sure you feel good enough to kayak?"

Louis nodded eagerly and sped over to the door where he started lacing up his sneakers. He nearly crashed into Harry, who was holding something behind his back.

"Are those flowers?" Louis asked as Harry dropped the bouquet on the floor.

"Yeah," Harry said as he picked them up. "I was trying to make a romantic gesture but you just about tackled me..."

"Sorry," Louis said. He moved to kneeling position and hugged Harry, nestling his head tightly into the crook of his neck. "Thank you, babe. I love them."

Harry couldn't see it, but he was blushing at that a little. Harry had been calling him pet names a ton since they confirmed they were boyfriends, but Louis had been holding back a little, careful not to get his feelings hurt if something didn't work out.

Now, though, he felt too connected to Harry to worry about that. Whether he intended to or not, the pet names were coming out of his mouth. And maybe he kind of liked it? Maybe.

"Babe. Did I hear babe?" Harry said, planting a kiss on Louis' neck. He stood up, bringing Louis with him as he rose to his feet. "Lou, wrap your legs around so I can hold you."

Louis laughed but shook his head and slunk away, returning to his sneakers, which were only halfway laced.

"You're so cute," Harry chuckled. "Anyways, I'll put these in some water, yeah?"

"Sure," Louis called. Harry left for the kitchen and came back to find Louis in an oversized hoodie.

"It's not that cold," Harry said, raising an eyebrow. "Also, I just heard some very explicit sounds coming from the bedroom..."

"Oh god, Liam and Zayn," Louis groaned. "I don't think they ever take breaks, those two."

"Damn," Harry said. His green eyes widened and he swept his hand across his chin, where a slight layer of stubble was beginning to form.

"Damn is right. Now let's go. Don't wanna be late!" Louis said, ushering Harry out the door. He grabbed two water bottles from the garage and then they hopped into Harry's car.

"So what do you want for lunch?" Harry asked as he drummed his thumbs on the steering wheel.

"Whatever you want," Louis said quickly.

"Umm... American barbecue?" Harry asked.

"Sure," Louis replied. "Yeah, that's fine. I like that."

"Okay," Harry said. "So I take it you've been doing better this week. Sorry I couldn't hangout. I had double shifts since a guard was sick and then I had to go see Niall. Umm... didn't mean to mention him, sorry."

"No, no," Louis said. He shook his head, causing his fringe to fall slightly out of place. "It's okay. I, um, I should be more supportive about Niall. How's he doing?"

"He's doing better. He's having a little trouble adjusting to the meds, but he said the flashbacks are getting better," Harry said with a half smile. "I think he just needs time."

Louis nodded, pressing his fingers against the car window. "How are your flashbacks doing?"

Harry's face began to darken as the focus of the conversation shifted to him. "Well, not great. But Niall actually got this really great idea for me to get a therapy dog. You can get them at affordable rates through this trauma organization. I'm going on Monday to pick one out!"