Chapter 15B

Walker

I look at the memorial and rub my eyes. It's been some time since the firefight, but seeing Toledo's name there renders me speechless. I can't process him being dead. I thought he was going to make it. The blood loss was bad, but I didn't think it was going to kill him if he got help in time. I'd seen worse. There didn't appear to be any arterial spray. I thought they'd be able to save him.

How did this happen?

I know how it happened, but still. He was so young.

19.

Toledo was only 19 years old. He had barely graduated high school when he joined up.

He had his entire life ahead of him. He hadn't even had time to meet the girl of his dreams yet. There was no wife back home to miss him. No child to carry on his name. I'm not sure what is worse; being the person no one at home misses, or the person everyone loses to the violence of this country. Both Toledo's parents are already dead. They passed in an ice-related trapping accident right before he joined up. Living in the remote wilderness of Alaska always posed that kind of risk and for Toledo's family, the results were devastating. The accident ended up being the catalyst for his enlistment, actually.

Looking at the memorial, I can't help but think that you just never know when your time will come, especially while serving over here.

Dog tags of fallen soldiers hang limp in the dessert heat. Like tumble weeds blowing across the sand, their ends lift every now and then to blow in the infrequent wind. The sound reminds me of chimes dancing on the wings of desert spirits. I can almost feel Toledo's arm on my shoulder, laughing with me over something stupid Chips did.

I think back to the first time I met Toledo. We were on the bus to Parris Island, and he sat across from me. He was smiling, like he was on a road trip to Disneyland, looking forward to his arrival.

I remember our first 25 push-ups outside that bus as well. Right there on the ground we dropped. We hadn't even changed out of our civilian clothes yet. Everyone around me was silent as the drill instructors screamed at us. But not Toledo. No, Toledo managed to utter some four letter words before Yi crept up on us. 100 more push-ups, 65 jumping jacks and a ton more exhaustive exercises later, we hustled inside the Recruit Depot together to start our journey.

Toledo's journey has now ended. I feel like my own has just begun.

"He was a good, Marine, Walker," I hear Coach say as he arrives on my right. "He died with honor, courage and commitment. I'm going to miss him."

"Me, too, Coach," I respond solemnly. "Me, too."

_______________

This chapter is dedicated to all of those in the military who keep us safe. 

For all of those who've given their lives so that we may continue to live free. 

It is said that we are born with certain rights, but we must remember that the cost of keeping those rights is paid for by the lives of those serving in the military. 

We must remember that. 

We must appreciate the gifts we've been given by those who protect us, for without their daily sacrifice the rights we claim to be our own would not exist.

Thank you!