Chapter 23A

Cian

Our Winter Solstice dance is the I-S club's annual fundraiser. Our family's been looking forward to it. My mom has gone all out; she decorated the hall in a nature-filled winter wonderland. Snowflakes, fake snow, twinkle lights and cheerful woodland creatures are everywhere.

Old Man Winter has arrived.

In the front of the room, there is a model dog to be used to record the amount of donations provided by guests. Every time another $500.00 in donations is tallied, another space on the dog is filled in. Our goal is to reach at least $10,000.00 in donations for the "This Able Veteran" organization. They place free service dogs with veterans who are coping with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder because of their time in the military.

The party has only just begun and $1,000.00 is already filled in. A trio of laptops and tables are set up in the back of the hall so people can make direct donations on-line throughout the evening.

Clearing my head, I look down at Siofra who is standing by my side. She looks beautiful. All I can think about is getting her out of the little red dress she's wearing. When she whispers in my ear that she might have forgotten to wear panties to the party tonight I almost pull her into the nearest broom closet to have my way with her. The only thing holding me back is my mom. She'll box my ears if I do anything to ruin this special night.

"I'm thirsty, Cian," Siofra tells me. "I'm going to go get a drink. Do you want one?"

"Sure," I answer. "Grab me a beer while you're at the bar, will you?" I give her a couple dollars for a tip and turn around to see Walker come through the door. He's wearing a black suit and dress shoes. His gray tie is tied in a tight knot and he looks great.

Siofra returns with my drink and I notice her cheshire cat smile. She's trying not to giggle.

"What're you up to?" I ask quietly, hoping it's something good. I can use a Siofra-instigated distraction right about now.

"Well," she whispers conspiratorly. "You know the gazebo area in back of the I-S hall courtyard where people sometimes go for pictures during special events?"

"Yeah? You do know it's also dark outside; too dark for pictures, Siofra," I reply, sipping my drink.

"Mmmm-hmmm" she hums. "It's VERY dark. And, VERY private, Cian."

"Oh, yeah, Ms. Naughty," I answer, starting to see where this is going. "And, just what do you have in mind?"

"We could, you know, wander back there, and then I could..." she whispers the rest in my ear and I'm turning us towards the back door and walking through it discreetly with her on my arm before anyone can stop us. I think I'm going to like the gazebo.

_________________

Photograph Copyright 2018 A. E. F.