Chapter 18

Cian

I throw the covers back from my head and try to get comfortable. The comforter has somehow gotten tangled in my legs during the night and my feet are caught up in it. I don't want to wake Siofra up, but the blankets are making me nuts. I open my eyes and look over at Walker's empty bed and then back towards my own ceiling.

Letting out a sigh, I reach up to wipe the sleep from my eyes and to scratch the bridge of my nose. I close my eyes again and then open them. Siofra moans next to me, trying to stay warm and asleep for just a few minutes longer. She's never been much of a morning person, at least not until she gets that first cup of coffee in her.

I smile. The idea of coffee makes me think of the time Jenny and Walker tricked me into pouring salt into my cup instead of sugar. I should've known when they were both smiling at each other as they waited for me to take that first sip. Like Siofra, though, I'm not much good before my first cup of coffee either.

Of course, with the coffee at least I was able easily spit out the salty liquid without making much of a mess. The time I ended up dusting my Cheerios with salt instead of sugar was much worse. Nothing like soggy Cheerios spewing across a picnic table. There had been so many times when those two crashed into my morning routine with their pranks.

"What are you smiling about, Cian?" Siofra asks quietly, looking up at me from under our covers.

"Hmmm? What? Oh. Nothing," I reply, losing my smile while rubbing my bangs out of my eyes. I guess I need a haircut soon.

Picking up where I left off with them, Siofra tussles my hair some before winding her fingers around a few loose ends.

"Doesn't look like nothing," she answers.

"It's just. I miss them. You know? It's been too long. One minute they're here, torturing me, and the next, the house, the yard, the woods, they're all too quiet. It's been too long without them."

"I know. I miss them, too."

"Remember that time they put salt in my Cheerios when we were camping?" I ask and she laughs.

"Yeah. You were so mad at them. You even chased Walker around the campsite afterwards."

"I did, but even with all their dumb jokes, I still wish they were here."

"Me, too, Cian," Siofra sighs. "I miss talking with Jenny and hanging out together. Doing girl stuff. Watching dumb movies. It's hard with her not being here. I know she's getting the help she needs with her Uncle, and I know it's selfish of me, but I wish she could've stayed here for her therapy."

"I get it. Remember those fudge sriracha cupcakes Jenny made for me for my birthday that one year? The ones with the chocolate icing and peanut crumbs on top? I'd kill for one of them right now."

"Mmm. I remember, though, they were a little on the spicy side for me. I'm actually surprised you like them so much"

"They are so good, Siofra." Siofra is more of a strawberry shortcake girl herself, but anything chocolate draws me in. "I guess it's all my exposure to hot sauce; never get a break with Jenny and Walker around. I close my eyes and sigh.

"I don't know. They drove me crazy at times, but I could always count on them to be there for me. Even if he was pissed off at me at the time, when something was going down at school or wherever, I knew Walker had my back. And we had fun together; the time on the range, our fishing, rescuing Jenny with one of her animals; chasing down some dog that got loose. Or, rather, I'd laugh while watching Walker chase her. I have no idea how one girl can get herself into so much trouble," I say, chuckling quietly to myself.

"I don't know. Jenny was like Walker; always there for us when we needed her."

"Yeah," Siofra responds. "Like the time your mom came down with appendicitis and was in the hospital for the week. Jenny did your guys' laundry and even made up your mom's bed with new sheets before she came home. She wanted her to have a clean bed when they released her from the hospital."

"Yeah, she did. And she kept us guys fed each night with dinner that week, too. Her and her Grandmom cooked more than enough food to feed their house and ours while my mom was sick."

"You really miss them a lot don't you, Cian?" Siofra asks me, rubbing her hand on my chest, absently playing with the hair she finds there.

"Yeah. I miss my brother. I miss talking to him, giving him crap and watching him get all riled up. I can't wait to see them both next week."

"What do you think'll happen when they come home and find out they're both back at the same time?" Siofra asks.

"No idea, but hopefully, it'll be good, whatever happens, and anyway, I'm sure Aunt Maebh will appreciate it if Walker stops in to catch up with Tadhg."

"Yeah," Siofra adds, growing quiet. "I think you're right."

Siofra's hand starts to wander a little lower and as much as I was previously focused on my own misery, my body starts to have new thoughts of its own. All of which are much more enjoyable than thinking about my brother and Jenny.

Siofra has the right idea; we need a little therapy of our own. Like, right here. Right now.

I turn slightly to bring Siofra in closer and suddenly, all thought leaves me. Siofra is on the move; her hands and mouth and tongue have effectively cut off everything except her. Grateful that I locked the door last night before going to bed, I look over at Walker's empty bed and smile before diving under the covers. I know Walker will forgive me for being glad he isn't in it at just this moment.

______________________

Photograph Copyright 2018 A. F.

Click on the small star below if you're enjoying this story. Everytime you do WattPad and other readers know this is a book they should read. Thank you for your support.